- I am having trouble registering for a course. MINERVA gives me one of the following error messages:
Prerequisite/Test-Score Error: Make sure that you have fulfilled all prerequisites and co-requisites. If you have already taken a course that is equivalent to the prerequisite/co-requisite, if you have an “L” in the prerequisite course (a deferral), or if you want to request a prerequisite override, please complete a Course Authorization Form and return it to the McGill Engineering Student centre after your departmental adviser has signed it.
Faculty/Major Restriction: Make sure this course is open for students in your faculty and department. If it isn’t, but you believe that it should be or you would like an override, you must complete a Course Authorization form and submit it to the McGill Engineering Student Centre after your departmental adviser has signed it.
Departmental/Instructor Approval Required: Please fill out a Course Authorization Form and obtain signatures from the course instructor and your department, and submit it to the McGill Engineering Student Centre for processing.
Course is Full: As students continuously add and drop courses until the end of this period, we cannot process any Maximum Enrollment overrides until the Add/Drop period is almost over. Continue trying to register for this course until the end of the Add/Drop period nears. If you still have not been able to register, and if you need to take this course during this semester, please submit a Course Authorization form, signed by your departmental advisor, to the McGill Engineering Student Centre.
Temporarily Closed: Check again later as there are currently adjustments being made to the course.
SR: Your student status prohibits registration at this point. Verify that you have an active record, that you have no holds preventing you from registration, and that your academic standing will allow you to register for the intended number of credits. If you are still experiencing difficulties, please go to the Student Affairs Office. See Registration Steps
- When is the add/drop deadline?
- When is the Withdrawal deadline?
- How can I register for a graduate level course (600 or above)?
In order for an undergraduate student to register for a graduate level course, a request must be submitted to the Faculty of Engineering and forwarded to the Director, Graduate Studies for approval. The student must have a minimum CGPA of 3.2 or equivalent and receive both Departmental and Faculty permission. Students are allowed to take one course only and it will not count toward a graduate degree or diploma in the future. The student must provide a reason why the course is to be taken at this time. An approval form is available at the Student Affairs Office.
See Graduate Registration
- How can I have a course marked under the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Option?
Unsatisfactory/Satisfactory Option may be used for COMPLEMENTARY STUDIES COURSES ONLY. Students MUST code courses under the S/U OPTION at the time of registration on MINERVA. The option will NOT be added or dropped manually to a student's record after the Drop/Add deadline. Choosing this option is done on Minerva as part of the course add/drop menu by changing the course grade mode.
See SU Option
- How can I have a course marked as “Extra”?
• Courses a student chooses to take which lie outside their program may be classified as "extra" - provided the student chooses this option at registration. Extra courses are indicated on the student's transcript, and grades earned in those courses do not affect the GPA. The option will not be added to a student's record after the Add/Drop deadline. Courses that are taken to satisfy the student's engineering program or a Minor cannot be designated as extra.
To designate a course as “Extra”, please complete a Course Authorization Form, have it signed by your departmental adviser and submit the form to the Student Affairs Office for processing.