- What do I do if I have a Final exam conflict?
Please see the Exam Conflicts website.
- What do I do if I have a religious conflict with a final exam?
Once the Final Exam Schedule has been posted, you must complete a Final Exam Conflict Form and submit it to Service Point at 3415 McTavish Street.
Deadline for submission of the form is 4 weeks before exams begin. Once approved, information about arrangements will be e-mailed to students shortly afterward.
Students who request an accommodation may be asked to sign a confidentiality form confirming that they will not discuss the exam with anyone until after the regular exam has been written.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For the Religious Conflict exam schedule, visit the Schedules web page:Schedule
- How do I write a supplemental Exam?
Please see Supplemental Exams.
Courses administered by the Faculty of Engineering do not have supplemental examinations; however, engineering students may be eligible to write supplemental examination in courses administered by the Faculty of Arts & Science (typically Humanities & Social Science courses and freshman courses).
The following conditions apply when applying to write a supplemental examination:
- Students must be in satisfactory or probationary standing;
- Students are permitted to write a supplemental for courses which they’ve received a mark of D, F, J or U;
- Special permission is required if students wish to write supplemental exams totaling more than seven (7) credits, from the Student Affairs Office
- Only one supplemental examination is allowed in a course;
- The supplemental result may or may not include the same proportion of class work as did the original grade. Students are instructed to verify with the instructor;
- The supplemental result will not erase the grade originally obtained; both the original mark and the supplemental result will be calculated in the CGPA;
- Additional credit will not be given for a supplemental exam where the original grade for the course was a D and the student already received credit for the course.
- There is a $35.00 non-refundable fee per each supplemental exam, which is charged directly to the student’s McGill student account.
- The supplemental examination period for fall courses is during the months of April and May, and for winter and span (two-term) courses during the last week of August. Supplemental applications are available through Minerva.
- Is it possible to have an instructor reread my final exam?
Please see Rereads
In accordance with the Charter of Student Rights, and subject to the conditions stated therein, students have the right to consult any written submission for which they have received a mark and the right to discuss this submission with the examiner. If, after discussion with the instructor, a student requests a formal reread of a final exam, they must apply in writing by completing a Reread form and submitting it to the Student Affairs Office.
The following conditions apply:
- Requests for rereads in more than one course per term will not be permitted unless permission is given by the Faculty of Engineering.
- Grades may be either raised or lowered as a result of a reread.
- Rereads in courses not in the Faculty of Engineering are subject to the deadlines, rules and regulations of the relevant faculty
- Any request to have term work re-evaluated must be made directly to the instructor concerned.
- The deadlines to make an application for a formal reread of a final exam are the last days of March, July and November for fall, winter and summer courses, respectively. A $35 fee for each reread will be assessed directly to the student's McGill account if the result of the reread is an unchanged or lowered grade. If the grade is increased, no charge is made.
- What happens if I missed a midterm?
Please see Midterms.
All arrangements regarding midterms must be coordinated between the student and course instructor. The Student Affairs Office is not involved in issues dealing with midterms. A
- What is the faculty standard calculator?
Please see Calculators.
All students must have one of the following types of calculators, and no exceptions will be permitted: CASIO fx-115, CASIO fx-991, CASIO fx-570ms SHARP EL-520, or the SHARP EL-546.
- The Faculty Standard Calculators CASIO fx-115, CASIO fx-991, CASIO fx-570ms, SHARP EL-520, or SHARP EL-546, will be required for some examinations. Under these circumstances, no other calculators will be permitted, regardless of their level of sophistication. NON-REGULATION CALCULATORS WILL BE REMOVED AND NO REPLACEMENT CALCULATOR WILL BE PROVIDED.
- The use of calculators during examinations is at the discretion of the instructor. Please check with your instructor if you are unsure about the specific calculator requirements for your course.
- Unless explicitly stated on the examination paper, calculator programs prepared prior to the examination are not permitted. Students using continuous memory calculators are responsible for erasing any stored programs or information prior to examinations.
- Covers on calculators must be removed or the invigilator will remove it for you.