Please see Deferrals for information about deferrals.
- What do I do if I need to defer an exam?
If you have missed a Final Examination due to illness or family affliction, you must submit a request for a deferral to the Student Affairs Office along with the documentation listed below (requests will not be considered if any information is missing).
- An original medical certification or other documentation.
- A completed Deferral Request Form
- A detailed letter justifying your request for a deferral.
The medical certificate MUST cover the date of the missed exam, and the nature and duration of the illness. You MUST also attest that you have completed all coursework to date, which will be verified with the instructor(s). The Student Affairs Office MUST be informed of the reasons for absences from a final examination(s) no later than one week after the date of the final examination(s) that was missed.
Your signature on the Deferral Request form will allow the Faculty to verify the authenticity of your medical certificate and the nature of your illness or any other documentation provided. If the form is not signed, it will result in an automatic failure. Deferrals are granted ONLY for compelling reasons. If your request for a deferral is denied by the Associate Dean, you will receive a "J" grade (absent) in the course. For the purpose of calculating GPA'S and CGPA'S, the grade of "J" is treated as an "F" (failed, 0%). You will be contacted regarding the approval of a deferral initially via email approximately two weeks after the end of the examination period. If you are granted a deferral, you will be given an "L" grade which will be replaced by a "J" should you miss the NEXT deferred or regular examination in the course, whichever occurs first.
- What do I do if I become sick during the exam?
- If you become ill during a formal Final Examination, you must inform the invigilator right away. If it is necessary, you will be escorted to Health Services. As stated above you MUST return to the Student Affairs Office with medical certification within one week of the exam. NOTE: If you complete the exam in a routine fashion, the grade received CANNOT be changed.
- If I defer an exam, when do I take it again?
- For Engineering courses, students granted a deferral MUST write the final exam the NEXT time it is offered. You should be aware that a deferred examination may not be available until the next time the course is given (one year).
For Arts, Science, and Management courses, students MUST write the supplemental/deferral examination offered during either May (for Fall courses) or August (for Winter courses). ** Deferrals are not permitted for summer courses. You may be permitted to withdraw from a course without refund instead.