NOTE: Students who wish to take a course at a Quebec University, must complete an application for Inter-University Transfer (IUT). Please see: http://www.mcgill.ca/engineering/student/sao/current/iut.
Students who wish to take courses outside Quebec during the summer term, must apply for “Study Away” via Minerva: Student Menu > Exchange/Study Away Menu > Request for Study Away.
The Study Away module will open for the Summer semester on February 1st and close on August 15th. Please ensure that you submit your request, within these dates, both in Minerva and using the Exchange/Study Away Transfer Credit from.
Eligible students may take any Freshman (Year 0) or General Complementary (Impact or Humanities and Social Sciences) outside McGill. Please consult the McGill University Basic Math and Sciences Equivalence Table for course equivalencies at other institutions. General Complementary courses do not require evaluation by the department unless direct course mapping is required (ie. where the course satisfies a Minor requirement, students should have the course evaluated and approved by the appropriate department).
Students may create up to 3 Study Away applications for a given term.
Steps to follow for Study Away:
- Research Summer course offerings at host institution(s)
- Obtain detailed course outline(s) including class schedule (or number of lecture hours)
- For Freshman math and science courses, verify the McGill University Basic Math and Sciences Equivalence Table.
- Complete the Exchange / Study Away Request for Transfer Credit form.pdf (new form), attach course outlines and schedule, and submit to MESC.
- Complete the Minerva Study Away module as well as the Minerva Course Approval and Transfer Credit Form (guide below).
- A Faculty Advisor will review your request and make the decision in Minerva.
- Upon completion of your Study Away, ensure that your host institution sends your official transcript to MESC (address below) ASAP.
Questions regarding Study Away may be addressed at the Engineering Student Centre (FDA 22) or via information [dot] engineering [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email).
Transfer Credit Policies
Once we receive and review official transcripts from your host institution, the appropriate McGill transfer credits can be viewed on your unofficial transcript in Minerva.
Students who participate in a formal university exchange shall be eligible to transfer earned credits back to McGill if the grade earned for each course is equal to or higher than the grade / CGPA required to graduate from the host university. The policy shall apply to both elective and required course credits.
For students who study away at a non-partner institution they must receive a minimum grade of “C” for credits to be granted. For details please see the Calendar (link to: http://www.mcgill.ca/study/2013-2014/university_regulations_and_resource...) or visit the McGill Engineering Student Centre (MESC) in FDA 22.