During a Power Outage
- Remain calm.
- If emergency lighting does not come on, wait a few minutes: power interruptions are frequently of short duration.
- Do not use candles, matches, lighters, or other open flames as light.
- If you work with hazardous chemicals, keep a flashlight available to allow you to safely shut down operations.
- If lighting is interrupted for more than 10 minutes, notify Security.
- Do not move around in the dark, Security will evaluate the need to evacuate the building.
If You Are Instructed to Evacuate in Total Darkness
- Advise Security that you are evacuating.
- Crawl on your hands and knees, do not stand.
- With the back of your right hand, feel and follow the wall to your right.
- Sweep your right hand in an up and down movement, feeling for door knobs.
- Feel any door for heat before opening it.
- With your left hand, sweep the floor in front of you for obstacles or stairs.
- Crawl down stairs backwards, feeling the steps with your feet. (left hand on the right-hand wall)
- Never lose contact with the right-hand wall, you will eventually find the exit.