Street Safety Tips
- Study the campus and neighborhood with respect to routes between your residence and class/activities. Know where emergency phones are located.
- Be very careful using ATMs at night or in unfamiliar surroundings.
- When walking, walk in the middle of the sidewalk and walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Try not to overload yourself with packages or other items. Keep your hands as free as possible.
- Do not wear music headphones while walking or jogging.
- Do not read while walking or standing on a sidewalk. Present a confident and aware attitude. Walk briskly.
- If you carry a purse, carry it close to your body, preferably in front.
- Carry no more money or credit cards than you absolutely need.
- If you wear a purse with a shoulder strap, be prepared to let it go if snatched. Otherwise you could be knocked down and hurt.
- Avoid being on the street alone if you are upset or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Know your surroundings and do not hesitate to report suspicious activities and loitering.
- Remain aware of your surroundings, whether alone or with a companion. Make use of your senses; listen for footsteps and voices and take note of other people in the area.
- Be aware that your shoes and clothing may hinder an escape. Think of what to do in case of an attack (e.g. kick off high-heeled shoes).
- Remember: avoid traveling alone. Avoid “shortcuts”. Use the student-operated service, Walksafe, after dark.
Request an escort by calling 514-398-2498 or by asking a Walksafe patrol team on the street. All patrol teams are easily identified by their red jackets with 'McGill Walksafe' on the back. McGill Walksafe is a student-run organization that provides a safe alternative to walking or taking public transportation alone at night. While not escort, Walksafe patrol teams maintain a visible presence in the McGill community. For more details you may visit their website at: www.ssmu.mcgill.ca/walksafe. Security maintains a close working relationship with the McGill Walksafe executive. When Walksafe is not available, Security agents will provide the service; contact phone number: 514-398-3000.