The ABCs of the PhD is a unique professional seminar series sponsored by the Faculty of Education and open to all graduate students at McGill University. It is one of a kind at McGill University as the initiative is run by students for students with the aim to support peers through the PhD journey.
Typically, sessions are held during the academic year and schedules are posted at the beginning of each term. Through Montreal community members, McGill Faculty, Staff, and student guest speakers the seminar series is unique in that it covers topics that you may not find in typical course work (e.g., past topics have included Pursuing Careers Outside of Academia, Managing Your Intellectual Property).
The following sessions will be held in 2016-2017:
- Sept 2016 Funding Session [event page] [session slides-powerpoint, 5.4 MB]
- Oct 2016 Building your Academic Profile: The Importance of Networking [event page] [session slides powerpoint, 1 MB]
- Jan 2017 Navigating through Pre-Comps, Post-Comps, and Preparing for your Dissertation [event page]
- Feb 2017 Confessions of a PhD [event page]
- Mar 30 2017 Building your Academic Profile: Publications [event page]
- Mar 31 2017 Transitioning from PhD to post-PhD [event page]
Should you have any questions about the session topics or speakers, please feel free to contact Erin [dot] Reid [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca, Sabrina [dot] Jafralie [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca or Alice [dot] Chan [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca.