Registration for Newly Admitted Students
Important Notice for all Students
- Students are responsible for being aware of all regulations and deadlines as published in the eCalendar and aware of deadlines as published at Important Dates.
- Undergraduate programs in the Faculty of Education are full time (normally 4 or 5 courses per term). Students are not permitted to attend part time.
- Classes are normally held between 8:25 and 5:25. Students are expected to be available for class during these times.
- Students are not permitted to receive credit for a McGill course that is considered equivalent to college/university courses or equivalent to AP, IB, A Level or French Baccalaureate results completed prior to entering the university. Faculty of Education students from CECEP should be sure to check for equivalences to Organic Chemistry, Mathematics, and Statistics courses.
- CEGEP, AP, IB, A Level or French Baccalaureate Equivalences
- Education Course Equivalences
Minerva does not necessarily prevent students from registering for courses that they should not take. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of prerequisites, co-requisites, restrictions, and faculty regulations that apply to the courses in which they register.
Students are urged to register for both the fall and winter semesters as soon as registration opens.
Refer to the program information and course requirements as listed in the E-Calendar.
The E-Calendar clearly outlines the plan of study for each program for each semester. The programs are very structured, therefore any change to the sequence of required courses as indicated in the University Calendar should only be done after consultation with your adviser.
Note (Freshman Year Students): Students who have not completed Quebec CEGEP or other university level courses are admitted into Year O, the Freshman Year. Some information for freshman students is available on the SAO's Freshman Year page.
Plan your fall and winter schedule.
Refer to the E-Calendar advising material for New Students, and the Minerva Class Schedule for dates and times of classes, information about enrolment restrictions, and departmental approval prerequisites.
Obtain departmental approvals for enrolment-restricted courses (if necessary).
Register on Minerva during the registration period also indicated on the Minerva.
As some courses are limited by program, you must first ensure that your program information on Minerva is accurate and up to date. Many courses are limited by enrolment, it is essential that you register as early as possible. If you have any problems registering please contact the “Help Desk”, and/or the Faculty Student Affairs Office.
Reminder: Any time you update your record on Minerva, i.e. add or drop a course, change section of a course, etc., you should check your transcript to ensure that any changes have been processed correctly!
Attend one of the Advising Sessions
Your academic adviser will be able to answer any questions you may have about specific courses or assistance with your program.
Update your sessional telephone number on Minerva.
Update your mailing and home addresses on Minerva.
Attend the University orientation, Discover McGill, and Faculty Orientation in August.
- Field Experience (For BEd students only)
- English Language Exam (For BEd students only)
- Course Selection and Course Loads
Contact the Student Affairs Office or your academic adviser, if you need any assistance.
Students in the BEd programs must register for Field Experience courses on Minerva. For more information, refer to the Office of Student Teaching (OST).