English Language Requirement
English Exam for Teacher Certification (EETC) (Course Number EDEC 215 / EDTL 515)
The Quebec Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS), and the Faculty of Education require that all students in teacher education programs demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction. To fulfil this obligation, all students newly admitted into Year 1 of the BEd programs (except TFSL) are required to write the English Exam for Teacher Certification (EETC) during the fall term of their first year in the program. Students admitted with advanced standing must also write this examination in the fall term of their first year. Students admitted into U0 will write the test in the fall term of their U1 year.
The examination is coordinated by an independent body, the Centre for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (CEETC). Although McGill is assisting in administering the test, it is not a McGill examination. The Centre collects a fee for writing the test.
- All undergraduate students (B Ed) must pass the test prior to the 3rd year Field Experience.
- MATL students must pass the test prior to the first internship.
- Register for the examination by registering on Minerva for EDEC 215 (Undergraduate Students) or EDTL 515 (Graduate Students). The test is scheduled in the fall term for new U1 undergraduates.
- To select a time to write the test, register with the Centre for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (CEETC) and pay the fee at least 5 working days before the test date if you are paying online - earlier if paying by cheque. You should ensure that the time selected for the test does not confilict with your course schedule.
- For details about fees, method of payment, and deadlines for payment see the Policies section of the Centre for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (CEETC) website.
- You must write at the time and day which you selected when registering with the CEETC. If you need to change the day/time you must contact the CEETC at least 5 working days before the date that your test is scheduled.
- You must bring your Proof of Payment to the exam or you will not be permitted to write the EETC.
This exam is probably different from other language exams you have taken before. It is not a test of your general English language competence. Rather, it measures your level of competence in the specific forms and styles of language needed for successful communication in the teaching profession. This is Competency 2 of the “12 core professional competencies for the teaching profession” created by the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS).
Students are encouraged to visit the official website of the Centre for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (CEETC) before the exam for information regarding exam policies, as well as practice tasks and preparation advice. You are strongly advised to take the time to prepare for this examination.
Exam preparation information is available at CEETC .
- If needed, check with the CEETC to confirm the date, time, and location of your exam section.
- Arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled start time of the exam. You will be refused entrance if you arrive after the exam has begun.
- Bring your McGill ID card and pens/pencils. You may also bring a highlighter.
- Bring your Proof of Payment of the fee paid to the Centre for the English Exam for Teacher Certification.
- You are permitted to bring a dictionary (bilingual or monolingual) and/or thesaurus for the writing section. (Students should not add any notes to the dictionary.)
- Cell phones or any other electronic devices are not permitted.
- The exam is normally written using computers in the computer lab. During the exam the computer may be used only as authorized.
- There are no deferred or supplemental exams.
Student who normally write exams with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) should contact that office if they wish to write the English Exam for Teacher Certification with OSD.