Quick Links


Regulations Concerning Withdrawals

  • A course withdrawal means you have chosen to discontinue one or more courses.
  • A University withdrawal means you have chosen to discontinue your entire term or year of studies.
  • Students who drop their last Fall or Winter course by the end of the add/drop period of that term are considered withdrawn from the University. They must follow the procedures for readmission.
  • If you want your money refunded, you must withdraw by the end of the third week of each term. See withdrawal deadlines for more information.
  • You have the first six weeks of each fall and winter term to decide if you want to stay in a course(s), or if you want to remain in the University. See withdrawal deadlines for more information.
  • You alone are responsible for your academic record. If you are thinking about withdrawing and don't take action, you will experience potentially serious problems. Be proactive, assess your situation, inform yourself of deadlines and rules, seek advice and help in decision making. There are resources available to help you through Student Services.
  • If you abandon a course, rather than withdrawing, you will receive a "J" instead of a "W" for a final grade. A "J" grade is equivalent to a zero in your average. "J" grade(s) are a permanent part of your record; you will not be able to erase them. You could go into probationary or unsatisfactory standing as a result of "J" grade(s).

View the eCalendar for more detailed information.

For further information or assistance, students should immediately contact the Student Affairs Office.

Course Withdrawals

  • After the Course Change (Add/Drop) Period each term, there is still a period of time when you may still withdraw from courses on Minerva without academic penalty. You may withdraw from your course(s) in any given term using Minerva up to the course withdrawal deadlines.
  • Withdrawing from your last course in a given term constitutes a University withdrawal.
  • Non-attendance at classes does not constitute a withdrawal. It will result in a grade of J (failure due to absence). A "J" grade is equivalent to a zero in the calculation for your GPA.
  • Permission to withdraw from a course after the withdrawal deadline may be granted only under exceptional circumstances. Permission will not be granted because you are doing unsatisfactory work in a course.

    You will be asked to submit your appeal in writing and to attach appropriate supporting documentation to your request, to the Student Affairs Office.

    The Late Add / Drop Form can be downloaded here and is also available from the student Affairs Office.

    Please note: only requests made before the end of the term in which the course is being taken, will be considered.

  • A Withdrawal 'W' is not calculated into your GPA and CGPA. A 'W' indicates that you withdrew from a course for whatever reason, not necessarily because you were failing the course.

    One or two grades of 'W' will not be the determining factor when your application for further studies after your bachelor's degree is being reviewed. However, when there are numerous grades of 'W' on your record, some explanation is advisable and may be requested.

  • Note: BEd programs can only be followed on a full time basis. Students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester. Students should always consult with their program advisers before dropping a required Education course.
  • BEd Program Withdrawal from Field Experience.
    1. Withdrawal, for any reason, before commencing a Field Experience must be done at least 2 weeks prior to the start date of the Field Experience. You are responsible for notifying, in writing, the Office of Student Teaching by this deadline.
    2. If you withdraw for any reason, from a field experience that is underway you must immediately inform the Office of Student Teaching.

      Based on the circumstances around the withdrawal, the Director of the Office of Student Teaching will determine the final outcome of that Field Experience.

University Withdrawal

  • Withdrawing from all your courses in any one term constitutes a university withdrawal.
  • It is your responsibility to initiate the withdrawal process; non-attendance at classes does not constitute a University withdrawal.
  • You must withdraw from all your courses on Minerva by the University established deadlines.
  • Permission to withdraw from the University after course withdrawal deadlines may be granted only under exceptional circumstances.
    1. If you wish to request permission to withdraw from the University after course withdrawal deadlines, you will need to submit appropriate documentation with your request for a University withdrawal.
    2. Circumstances which can affect your ability to complete your studies, and which may be a basis to grant a University withdrawal past withdrawal deadlines, include illness, unforeseen financial hardship, or serious family affliction.
  • You should contact the Student Affairs Office to request a withdrawal after the deadline. In your letter include your signature and your student ID number.
  • Once you withdraw from the University, your record will be updated to include an official "withdrew from the University" narrative with the date of withdrawal. If you withdraw in the fall term, you are considered withdrawn from the entire academic year and your winter term is deleted.
  • If you wish to return to McGill in the future: You must apply for Readmission to the University to the appropriate faculty through the "Student Records Menu" once you have logged into Minerva.

    If you are applying for Readmission to the Faculty of Education, please refer to the SAO's information on readmission.

Leave of Absence

Undergraduate students may request an official Leave of Absence for maternity or parenting reasons, personal or family health reasons, professional development, or for required military service. Consult the full policy here. For guidance on the difference between University Withdrawal and taking a Leave of Absence, contact the sao [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Internships and Student Affairs Office )

Students who take a Leave of Absence for personal health reasons must provide a Physician Readmit Form conrfirming they are ready to resume their studies.

Students who are eligible for a Leave of Absence should submit a written request with medical or other documentation to the
Faculty of Education - Internships & Student Affairs Office
3700 McTavish St., Room 243 Montreal, QC H3A 1Y2
sao [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)