Quick Links

Study Away, Exchange and Quebec Inter-University Transfer

Students registered in the Faculty of Education have the opportunity to study at another university for one term (fall or winter), or one academic year (fall and winter).

Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT)

  • Students who are in satisfactory standing may, with permission of the Faculty, register at any Quebec university for three (3), or exceptionally six (6), credits per term.
  • Credit is only granted for courses passed with a grade of C or better. Courses with grades of C-, P, & S will not be considered for transfer credit.
  • Students must complete the Inter-University Transfer (IUT) online form. This form permits the student to obtain the required authorizations.
  • For more Information on Inter-University Transfers (IUT) please visit McGill's Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) webpage.
  • It is also useful to refer to the University's information on Transfer Credits.

McGill Student Exchange

  • McGill students can study on exchange while paying McGill tuition and earning credits towards their McGill degree. These programs are coordinated by the McGill Study Abroad Office (SESA).
  • In order to be considered for a McGill exchange, at the time of application you must:
    1. Be currently registered in a full time degree program (normally in the 2nd or 3rd year of the BEd program, or 2nd year of the BSc (Kinesiology) program).
    2. Have a minimum CGPA of 3.0, (and maintain it during all terms leading to the exchange term).
    3. Have completed a minimum of 12 McGill graded credits at the time of application.
  • You can apply online on Minerva (under the Student Records; Exchange Study Away).
  • The deadline is generally early January for the next academic year. Please refer to the Study Away to International Education website for exact dates and deadlines.
  • Information sessions are offered through the fall semester in advance of the application deadline.
  • Students interested in participating should meet in advance with their program adviser to review their program status, and for advice on the type of courses they would need to take to meet their program requirements while studying at another institution.
  • A Pre-Departure orientation session is mandatory. Visit the International Education website for the schedule of sessions.

Study Away on Your Own

  • In addition to studying at another university as part of an officially recognized McGill exchange program, students can apply directly to an accredited degree granting university as a visiting student to take courses toward the completion of their McGill degree.
  • Students should apply for Study Away before July 1 for the Fall term and before Dec 1 for Winter term.
  • In order to be considered for a Study Away, at the time of application you must:
    1. Be registered in a full time degree program
    2. Be in Satisfactory Standing
    3. Have a minimum CGPA of 2.7
    4. Have completed a minimum of 12 McGill graded credits at the time of application
  • Students are required to meet with their program adviser to review their program status and for advice on the type of courses they would need to take to meet their program requirements while studying at another institution.
  • Note: A minimum of 60 McGill credits are required in order to obtain a McGill degree.

How to Apply to Study Away On Your Own:

  1. Choose the host university.
  2. Determine what courses are offered at the host university during your term of study and select the courses that you intend to take.  Normally, the easiest way to do this is to access the host university’s website.     
  3. Complete the Study Away application on Minerva  ( Student  > Student Records > Exchange /Study Away Menu) and then submit your application.
  4. Students in their graduating year ( U3 for B Sc Kin and U4 for B Ed students ) should complete the “ Statement of Purpose” indicating why they wish to study away.
  5. Use the Course Approval and Transfer Credit Form on Minerva ( Student  > Student Records > Exchange /Study Away Menu > Approval of Courses and Transfer Credits) to enter the courses that you wish to have approved.   Copy the course descriptions or create a link to them.
  6. Advise your departmental adviser by email that you have entered courses that need approval.  Email address for B Sc Kin and B Ed Phys Ed students - contact nada [dot] abu-merhy [at] mcgill [dot] ca and for B Ed Secondary, B Ed Kindergarten and Elementary, TESL, TFSL, B Sc/B Ed, B Mus/ B Ed and B Ed Music students - contact advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca . 
  7. The adviser will notify you when the department has approved the courses and will also notify the Student Affairs Office that your application is ready for faculty approval.
  8. When the faculty has approved your Study Away request, you will be advised by email.
  9. You can then generate and print a  “Letter of Permission” for Study Away on Minerva.
  10. You must inform the Student Affairs Office immediately if you decide not to take courses at any or all of the universities for which Study Away has been approved.
  11. Please note: Students are responsible for payment of fees directly to the host institution and for arranging to have an official transcript sent directly to the Faculty of Education Student Affairs Office immediately after your studies are completed. Transfer credits will  be processed only upon receipt of the official transcript.

Transferring Credits:

  1. Only grades of “C” or better will be eligible for transfer credit (C-, Pass and Satisfactory grades are not acceptable).
  2. Credit will be transferred only if your most recent standing at McGill is Satisfactory.
  3. If you expect to graduate, the official transcript must be received by September 1 for graduation in November, April 1 for graduation in May and January 15 for graduation in February.

What to do at the end of your study away:

  1. Use Minerva to ensure that your mailing address for the next academic session is correct.
  2. If you made changes to your initial course selection, provide the Student Affairs Office with a course description and course weight for each new course.
  3. If you are expecting to graduate, use Minerva to verify your recored and ensure that your transfer credits are correct.