Quick Links

Registration for Currently Registered Students

All students should refer to the Minerva web site to register, access and maintain important information, and complete administrative requirements.

Important Notice for all Students

  • Students are responsible for being aware of all regulations and deadlines as published in the eCalendar.
  • Minerva does not necessarily prevent students from registering for courses that they should not take. Therefore, it is your responsibility to be aware of prerequisites, corequisites, restrictions, and faculty regulations that apply to the courses in which you register.

Students are urged to register for both the fall and winter semesters as soon as registration opens.

Do not hesitate to contact the Student Affairs Office or your academic adviser, if you need any assistance.

Registration Information

  • Students should register for their courses as soon as possible as all courses are limited by enrolment. Close attention should be paid to the information on the Class Schedule comments and in the Calendar regarding restrictions, spanned courses, linked sections and specially scheduled courses.
  • All currently registered students who expect to return to McGill for Fall 2012 are strongly encouraged to see their adviser(s) and to register for courses before leaving for the summer. As all courses are limited by enrolment, you may not be able to register for the courses of your choice if you postpone registration until August.
  • Late registration fees are charged as of July 24, 2012; make sure you register in at least one course prior to this date to avoid late registration fees.
  • Advisers are available to assist students with their program planning; however, students are ultimately responsible for their academic record.
  • Students should also refer to the University's Student Records Information web site for information and assistance.

Course Loads

  • Bachelor of Education programs leading to certification can only be followed on a full time basis. Part-time study is not normally permitted. For exceptions see Request for Part Time Study.
  • Students are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester, unless permission has been granted by the Executive Director, Student Affairs .
  • 12 credits or more per term is considered "full-time". Full-time status is required for eligibility for student visas, loans and bursaries.
  • The normal course load is 15 credits.
  • Students whose CGPA is above 3.00 are permitted an overload.
  • Overloads (more than 15 credits) are not permitted in major field experience terms.
  • Students in probationary standing are permitted a maximum of 14 credits per term.
  • For Newly Admitted Students and students whose standing is Satisfactory or Interim Satisfactory, a maximum of 17 credits per term are permitted.
  • Students whose most recent CGPA is 3.0 or better will be permitted a maximum of 18 credits per term.
    Students who wish to register for more than 17 credits per term must apply at the Faculty of Education Student Affairs Office, Room 243, or by sao [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email.)
  • Students whose most recent CGPA is below 3.0, but who believe that extenuating circumstances warrant a request for registering for more than 17 credits per term, must request permission at the Faculty of Education Student Affairs Office, Room 243, or sao [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email.) The request will be evaluated by the Executive Director, Student Affairs.
  • A minimum of 27 graded (non-S/U) credits per academic year (both the fall and winter terms) is required to be considered for renewal of entrance scholarships or for in-course McGill scholarships or awards, including Dean's Honour List; at least 27 graded credits that fulfill the degree requirements to be considered for faculty scholarships; 30 graded credits per year to maintain Canada scholarships.

Request for Part Time Study

  • Any absence or reduction in course load that may impact the regular progression of a student’s program requires permission from the Director, Internships and Student Affairs. Request forms can be downloaded from the link below and are also available from the Internships and Student Affairs Office. Students should provide an explanation.

  • Request for Part Time and Overload Form [.pdf]

Request for Overload

  • Students wishing to register for more than five courses, who do not have a minimum GPA of 3.0 or above, will need permission from the Executive Director, Student Affairs.
  • Request forms can be downloaded from the link below and are also available from the Student Affairs Office. Students are expected to provide an explanation as to why they want to go over the allowable credit load. Request for Part Time and Overload Form [.pdf]
  • Overloads are not permitted while students are participating in a major Field Experience.
  • Students who encounter problems regarding course add/drop should contact the Student Affairs Office immediately.

Course Change

  • There is a Course Change (Add/Drop) Period during both the fall and the winter terms during which you may attend as many courses as your schedule will permit. View the Course Change deadlines.
  • To add/drop courses you will need to access Minerva before the Course Change deadlines.
  • Minerva provides step-by-step instructions on how to add/drop courses. All courses are limited by enrolment therefore, do not wait until the last minute to register.
  • Courses dropped during the Course Change Period are deleted from your record. Your record will show only the courses in which you are registered after the Course Change Period.
  • If you drop a course within the deadlines for the Course Change Period, you will get a refund for the course; if you add a course during this period, you will be charged for the course.
  • Courses which are cancelled by the University are not automatically deleted from your record; you must access Minerva and delete the course(s).
  • If you find after the Course Change Period that you neglected to add a course, you will be required to make a written appeal requesting that the course(s) be added to your record. Please see Errors in Registration information below.

Errors in Registration

  • All students must use Minerva to check their course registration before the end of the course change period for each term and ensure that they are correctly registered in all courses they wish to complete.
  • Students who notice registration errors after deadlines have passed may request that the error be corrected. The procedure for requesting a correction is outlined below.
  • Normally only one request for correction is permitted per student during his/her academic career. Any exceptional additional requests for corrections are referred to the Executive Director, Student Affairs for decision.
  • To request the correction of a registration error an appeal letter must be written by the student. In addition a form must be completed by the student and the course instructor(s), and there is a $50.00 charge for each change that is made to a student record.
  • A request to correct a registration error may be refused.
  • Requests must be made within one month of term end; requests made after this period may be refused despite a valid explanation and proper approval(s) from professor(s).
Procedure to Request a Correction in Registration after the Course Change Deadline
  1. Obtain the Form to Correct Errors in Course Registration from the Student Affairs Office or download the pdf below.

    Late Add / Drop Form [.pdf]
  2. Write a letter in which you explain clearly and concisely why you are making this request. Include the following information:
    • When you started and/or stopped attending the class,
    • Whether (and when) you attempted to make these registration corrections yourself.
  3. Take your letter and the form to your course instructor(s) and have the instructor(s) complete the appropriate areas of the form. Instructors are asked to indicate whether the student has been attending the course and, in the case of the addition of the course to a student record, whether the student will be permitted to register late.
  4. Bring the letter and the form to the Student Affairs Office.
  5. Students will be notified by email of the final decision.

Note: Courses are not removed from the student's record when a registration error is corrected. Instead a withdrawal from the course is granted.