Quick Links

Advanced Standing for Currently Registered Students

Transfer credits are academic credits awarded for courses completed at accredited schools which can be counted towards your McGill degree.

Note: Students should note that a minimum of 60 credits must be completed at McGill in order to qualify for a McGill degree.

For more detailed information refer to:

McGill's Transfer Credits site

Education Equivalencies.pdf

The Basic Math and Sciences Course Equivalence Table

Study Away and Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT)

  • Students who take courses during an approved Study Away or the Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) policy will have the transfer credits recorded upon receipt of the official transcript from the host institution.
  • Students studying at another Quebec University on an Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) will have their grade(s) sent to McGill University automatically by the host university.
  • For universities outside of Quebec, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent from the host institution to the Student Affairs Office immediately after your studies are completed.
  • Courses must be passed with a grade of “C", or better, at the host university. Grades of C-, Pass (P) and Satisfactory (S) will not be accepted. The letter grades achieved at the host university will take precedence over the corresponding numerical grades if both are provided.
  • Courses cannot exceed the course weight assigned at the host university. If the equivalent course at McGill is more credits than the course at the host university, the number of credits granted by the host university will be transferred.
  • Course Load: For fall or winter term away, a maximum of 15 transfer credits is normally granted; for a full academic year away, a maximum of 30 transfer credits is normally granted; for a summer session, a maximum of 12 transfer credits is normally granted. However, the credits transferred may be less than the maxima stated.
  • Only the transfer credits and approved McGill course exemptions will appear on the McGill transcript. The grades achieved at the host university will not appear on the McGill transcript and will not be included in the McGill CGPA.
  • If your current academic standing is Unsatisfactory or Probationary, credits will only be transferred to your record once you return to Satisfactory.
  • Note: If you change your program or faculty within McGill, your transfer credit will be re-evaluated by your department and your faculty Student Affairs Office.
  • For additional information, please refer to Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) website.