Department of Economics
Principal's Prize for MacKenzie
Ken MacKenzie, who earlier this year won the Faculty of Arts Fieldhouse Award for teaching (see below), has made it a distinguished double by also winning the Principal's Prize for Excellence in Teaching in the Faculty Lecturer category. The Prize will be awarded at this fall's Convocation. All his colleagues join in congratulating Ken on this remarkable and wholly deserved sweep.
Fieldhouse for MacKenzie
Faculty Lecturer Kenneth MacKenzie ("KMack" to the literally thousands of students he has taught since joining the Department in 1982) has won the 2012 Faculty of Arts' Noel Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching. He joins Professor Chris Ragan (2007) as the only other Department winner of the award. As the Department's letter nominating Professor MacKenzie said: "Ken MacKenzie teaches high-enrolment required courses in difficult subjects (statistics and econometrics) that are far from universally loved by students and yet he receives virtually unanimous praise from students, year after year after year. His unfailing kindess, consideration, diligence, humour and skill on the bagpipes are legendary to generations of McGill Economics students."
Prof. Victoria Zinde-Walsh delivered her presidential address to the Canadian Economics Association annual meetings at the University of Ottawa on Saturday, June 4, 2011, thus bringing to a close her year as president of the association. Her subject was “Mathematics in Economics and Econometrics,” which was published in the November 2011 issue of the Canadian Journal of Economics.
The 2011 CEA meetings also featured an invited lecture in honour of Prof. Mary MacKinnon, organized by Prof. Ian Keay of Queen's University, her former student (MA 2003), and presided over by Prof. Christopher Minns of the London School of Economics, who worked with Mary when he was a post-doctoral fellow at McGill from 2000-2002 and was also a frequent co-author and colleague on research teams.
(Photo of Prof. Zinde-Walsh by Owen Egan)
Department Members in the News
- Fabian Lange's work on unemployment discussed on the New York Times' Economix blog: here.
- Prime Minister weighs Chris Ragan's policy recommendations: Story here. Study here.
- Jean-Marie Dufour wins Bank of Canada Fellowship Award for 2012: Story here.
- Chris Green cited in the Financial Times: Europe needs real vision on climate by Bjorn Lomborg.
- Chris Green and Isabel Galiana’s work on climate change written up by Bjorn Lomborg in the Australian.
- Chris Green and Isabel Galiana's research on environmental economics showcased in "A New Direction for Climate Change," available online in the Spring 2010: The Science of the Arts issue of Arts Insight.