East Language Courses Registration info
Department of East Asian Studies
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is limited enrolment in EAS Language Courses. Priority is given to students registered in East Asian Studies Programs.
Japanese Registration Rules :
Students with absolutely no background: Please register for EAST240D (section 1 or section 2) for both Fall and Winter via Minerva. No placement test is required.
Students with background but without the prerequisite: If you have studied Japanese before, including self-study, and/or you use Japanese at home, you must take a placement test.
Placement Test for students with background: The placement test will take place in late August. Details will be announced in April. No registration is required for the placement test. Please fill out a language placement questionnaire which is available on this site and bring it to the test site. If you want to take a test earlier or you need consultation, please send an e-mail to one of the following Japanese language instructors to make an appointment. Please note that during the summer time, instructors may not be available.
miwako [dot] uesaka [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Mrs. Miwako Uesaka)
yasuko [dot] senoo [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Ms. Yasuko Senoo)
You MUST bring a language placement questionnaire to your interview:
You MUST download, print the form, fill it out and bring it to the interview/placement test.
JAPANESE LANGUAGE Courses Interview/Placement test SCHEDULE:
- Friday, August 29, 2014 10:00 and 1:00 (No appointment required) in Room 268, 688 Sherbrooke St. West
Chinese Placement Test & Registration
Date and time
- Monday, April 28, 2014 10:30 am – 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm (No Appointment Required)
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:30 am – 12:30 pm and 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm (No Appointment Required)
- Room 294, 688 Sherbrooke St. West
Who are required to take the Placement Test?
- Students with prior knowledge of Chinese (whether acquired through self-study, at home or schools other than McGill University).
Who do not need to take the Placement Test?
- Students with no prior knowledge of Chinese. However, these students MUST download the Chinese Language Placement Questionnaire (click here), answer all the questions, sign it, and submit it by email to this email address: renzhong [dot] wang [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Mr. Bill Wang)
- Students who have taken Chinese courses at McGill University. These students do not need the instructor’s or departmental permission to register on Minerva for more advanced level Chinese courses (i.e., EAST 330; EAST 430; EAST 530).
Notification of Placement Test results
- ONLY students who have been granted permission/approval to register for the course will be notified by email; on either August 29, 2014 or September 2, 2014.
What should you do before coming to the Placement Test?
- Download the Chinese Language Placement Questionnaire (click here), answer all the questions truthfully, sign, and bring it to the Placement Test in room 268, 688 Sherbrooke West.
How will the Placement Test proceed?
- Please take a number once you arrive at the site for the Placement Test, then wait for your turn to be interviewed. The order of interviews is on a first-come-first-served basis.
- You will have a face-to-face interview with a Chinese instructor to assess your listening and oral skills.
- You will be given 10 minutes to read a selected Chinese text and answer questions about it.
- You will be given one hour to write a written Chinese exam in another room in the same building.
Due to the high demand for Chinese language courses, the Department of East Asian Studies gives priority registration to students who have declared an Honours, Major or Minor in East Asian Studies. For students not registered in the above-mentioned programs, permission for registration in a Chinese language course will be given on a first-come-first-served basis.
Suggestions for preparing for the Placement Test
All Chinese courses at McGill emphasize equally the four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
If you feel you need to strengthen any of these skills prior to taking the Placement Test, we suggest that you study the textbooks used for our courses.
EAST 230D (First Level Chinese) covers 20 lessons (Lesson 1-Lesson 20 of New Practical Chinese Reader Book I & Book II 新实用汉语课本: Beijing Language and Culture University Press).
EAST 330D (Second Level Chinese) covers 18 lessons (Lesson 21 – Lesson 38 of New Practical Chinese Reader Book II& Book III: Beijing Language and Culture University Press).
EAST 430D (Third Level Chinese) uses Boya Chinese Intermediate (博雅汉语准中级加速篇) – Book I & the first 4 chapters of Book II (Peking University Press).
Important Note: ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER interview/placement test times are possible.