Quick Links

Newly Admitted Students - TESL

English Exam for Teacher Certification

All students are required to register for the English Exam for Teacher Certification (EDEC 215) in the Fall term of their first year (U1 year) in the program. Please refer to the English Language Requirement section of the Student Affairs Office website for details.

Required Orientation Group Advising Sessions:

Year 0 (Freshman)
Wednesday, August 27, 11:00 a.m., Education Building, Room 216

Year 1 (First Year)
Thursday, June 5 - Advising Session during the afternoon of CSI (CEGEP Student Information Day)
Thursday, August 28, 9:30 a.m., Education Building, Room 216

Year 2 (Advanced Standing – Students admitted with University level courses)
Thursday, August 28, 9:30 a.m., Education Building, Room 216

      Fall 2013 admits your advising materials have been moved to the Currently Registered Students page.

      Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) advising documents

      TESL Program Checklist 2014-2015

      Registration Plans:

      TESL Four Year Overivew registration planTESL Three Year Overivew registration plan

      Registration plans are provided because of the tight nature of the program - to ensure timely completion of your program, you are advised to follow the sequence of courses as outlined above.

      The Four Year Overview is for most students, and it allocates space for completing all of the requirements in your TESL B.Ed. degree.

      The Three Year Overview is designed for students who have significant advanced standing, and does not include room in your schedule for completing the subject area and elective course portions of the TESL program.

      A complete list of courses, course descriptions and prerequisites can be found on the official TESL eCalendar program entry.

      Complementary Academic Courses

      Students in TESL must take 18 credits of Complementary Academic Courses.

      Choosing your Complementary Academic courses:

      These courses, of which a minimum of 6 credits must be ENGL subject courses, may be any course in the Faculty of Arts or any course in the Faculty of Science.

      Combined with your 6 elective credits, they are best used to give you additional background in teaching subjects in order to maximize your post-graduate marketability. There are two strategies you might use when choosing them:

      1. Specialist - Concentrate your course choices in one or two areas in the rough equivalent of a second teachable subject (such as Social Studies, Geography, English, Science and Technology, Mathematics, or Ethics Religious Culture). Note that MELS will not issue a brevet (specialist certification) in a second subject, but you may mention in job applications or interviews that you have some training in this additional area.
      2. Generalist - Spread your course choices over a number of areas to give you the widest possible background knowledge, which will serve you well in teaching language, as well as a basis for teaching other subjects should the opportunity arise.

      Note that of your Complementary Academic Courses, a maximum of 9 credits may be in a foreign language (not English).

      TESL students who are not yet competent in French are advised to take French language courses as early as possible. TESL graduates working in the province of Quebec will be working for French-language school boards who will require that new teachers pass a standardized French competency test so that their ability to professionally communicate with parents, teachers and support staff is assured.

      Freshman Year U0

      Students whose highest level of education is high school (normally out of province) are admitted into Year 0 (U0) to complete the Freshman Program.

      Freshman Program Advising:

      The Freshman Program consists of 30 credits of the students’ choice, verified by an advisor. There are no required courses in the Freshman Program, though the department recommends that students use the opportunity to take 100 or 200 level courses in the subjects taught in Elementary or Secondary school, as well as to explore areas that are not normally taken as academic complementary courses within B.Ed. programs (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, etc.).

      The department also recommends the following courses:

      If you are admitted into McGill with advanced standing (International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, etc.), those credits may be used to fulfill some or all of your Freshman requirements.

      Freshman Advising

      All Freshman students must have their Fall and Winter course selections verified prior to the start of classes. This can be done by email or by attending the group advising session in late August. To verify your course selection by email, send a message to advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca with the subject “Freshman Course Selection” and your student ID number in the body.

      Academic Advisers:
      Grace Wong-McAllister
      Tel.: (514) 398-4527 - advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)

      Ryan Bouma
      Tel.: (514) 398-4527 - advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)

      Tina Schiavone
      Tel.: (514) 398-4527 - advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)

      Frequently Asked Questions:

      Where can I find help on how to use Minerva to register for courses?

      Step by step instructions and a tutorial video can be found on this website. In addition, the Education Student Affairs Office is available to help you with registration difficulties.

      When are my field experiences (dates)?

      See the overviews above to find the semesters in which you should complete your field experiences. In addition, the start and end dates for all field experiences each year can be found on the Office of Student Teaching website.

      Does my first field experience conflict with my other fall semester courses?

      No it does not.  If you are registering for the fall semester courses found on the overview (above), your Fall semester courses will end early, in November, after which your First Field Experience (EDFE 209) and your First Year Seminar (EDSL 210) will begin and run until mid-December.  Your first Fall semester will be unique in this way.

      I'm having trouble registering for EDFE 209 and EDSL 210

      EDFE 209 and EDSL 210 must be registered for simultaneously.  To do this, make note of the CRNs of both courses (first column on left when you search for courses) and enter them both into the "Quick Add" feature on Minerva (step 2 on the registration menu).

      I've written an English exit exam already, do I need to register for EDEC 215?

      Yes, the provincial governement requires that all students in teacher education programs demonstrate their proficiency in the language of instruction.  More information can be found here.

      I speak fluent French, do I need to take EDSL 215 Effective Communication in French?

      For EDSL 215, depending on your level of French you may not need to take this course and can take a Complementary Academics course instead (this is the meaning of the note).  There are two ways to be exempted from EDSL 215:

      • If you attended a French language Secondary School or CEGEP (not French immersion)
      • If you take the diagnostic test during the first EDSL 215 class and are assessed to be exempt.

      If you attended a Frensh language Secondary School or CEGEP, you must send an email to advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca with the name and address of your Secondary School or CEGEP in order to receive exemption. If you did not attend a French Secondary School or CEGEP, you must register for EDSL 215 and take the diagnostic test. Note that most students who take the diagnostic test will not be exempt from EDSL 215.

      If you are exempt from EDSL 215, you will need to take an additional complementary academics course in its place.

      When do I need to start registering for courses?

      Registration for courses for newly admitted students begins in June and ends a couple weeks after classes in the semester begin.  A complete list of registration start and end dates can be found here.

      What should I do if I'm having trouble registering for a course?

      If you are getting an error such as 'program restriction' or 'reserve closed' when attempting to register for a course, first ensure that you are selecting the section designated for your program (see the notes under the course in class schedule search on Minerva).  If you are still having trouble, contact the department offering the course (Educational and Counselling Psychology for EDPE and EDPI courses, Linguistics for LING courses, English for ENGL courses, etc.).  The calendar entry for the course will indicate the offering department.

      If I am interested in taking French courses, where do I go to take the French Placement Test?

      Information about French courses and the French Placement Test can be found on the French Language Centre website.

      What advanced standing can I expect to receive from my previous university study? When will my advanced standing appear on my transcript?

      In the faculty of Education, students are eligible to receive advanced standing only for courses that are applicable to their programs. The admissions office makes decisions on advanced standing for all incoming students over the summer. Your advanced standing may not appear on your transcript immediately.

      Until the admissions office has entered your advanced standing on your transcript, you are advised to attempt to get a sense of the transfer credits you might receive by looking at the program requirements on the program checklist (above). Students typically receive advanced standing for subject area courses rather than required education courses (unless their previous university education was in a teacher training program). Additional advice for self-assessing your transfer credits can be found on the Education Student Affairs Office website.

      When the admissions office has assessed your advanced standing, you should review it, and if you feel that you might be eligible for additional courses, contact your adviser.

      Program information is organized into three distinct groups:

      Prospective Students   Newly Admitted   Currently Registered