Prospective Students - B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary PIF
The Pédagogie de l’Immersion Française (PIF) major is designed to meet the needs of students enrolled in the B.Ed Kindergarten and Elementary program who wish to teach in French immersion contexts. It consists of 30 credits of French and second language education related courses embedded within the regular B.Ed. Kindergarten and Elementary program (no additional credits are needed). In addition, certain other course sections may be offered in French. As French Immersion is the common program across English schools in Quebec, and a very popular option across Canada, opting for and completing this ‘major’ should increase your employability upon graduation.
How to Enter PIF
If you are not currently a McGill student:
- Apply to enter the B.Ed. Kindergaten/Elementary program through Admissions.
- Once admitted to McGill K/Elementary, sign up for the French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT) in August (see info below).
If you are a current McGill student in the B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary program:
- Sign up for the French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT) using the registration form below.
If you are a current McGill student not enrolled in the B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary program:
- Apply for Inter/Intra Faculty Transfer into the Pédagogie de l'Immersion Française program (on Minerva).
- Register for the French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT) using the registration form below.
The French Language Proficiency Test is mandatory for applicants to the B.Ed. Kindergarten/Elementary PIF program.
French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT)
Competency in French
Students wishing to follow the PIF major must demonstrate a sufficient level of competency in French by passing the written and oral French Language Proficiency Test (FLPT) set by the Department of Integrated Studies in Education.
2014 FLPT Testing Dates
- Thursday, April 17 (for Fall 2014 entry)
Note: Only sign-up for this date if you are currently registered in the Winter 2014 term.
- Late August (for Fall 2014 entry) - Date TBA
- Thursday, November 20 (for Winter 2015 entry)
Register for FLPT
To register for the test, fill out the registration form.
About the Test
The written part of the test will take place from 9:00 – 11:30 AM. A schedule will be posted for the individual oral interviews starting at 11:30 AM. Please plan to be available until 4:00 PM on the testing day.
The written part of the examination includes the following tasks:
• Texts with missing words where students must write the appropriate word in the blanks
• Texts with errors that students must correct
• A written production of approximately 300 words on a general subject in the field of education. Students will be graded on the relevance and appropriateness of information, the clarity of the message, organisation of ideas and accuracy of language.
The oral interview will require that students give information about themselves, as well as discussing their response to the written production.
To study for the examination, students can review argumentative texts and common errors in French syntax, spelling, usage, and grammar.
Payment - $30
All students will be required to pay a $30 fee which will be charged to their McGill account.
If you are interested in knowing more about the PIF option, contact advisedise [dot] education [at] mcgill [dot] ca.