Hope A. Weiler
Canada Research Chair Tier II in Nutrition, Development and Aging
hope [dot] weiler [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)
- Ph.D. 1996, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario 1993-1996.
- B.Sc. 1991 University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, 1987-1991.
Awards and Recognitions
- Wiebe Visser International Nutrition Dairy Prize, International Dairy Federation 2010
- New Investigator Award (15 y postdoctoral), Canadian Nutrition Society 2010
- Norman Kretchmer Memorial Award in Nutrition and Development, American Society for Nutrition 2007
- Canada Research Chair Tier II, Canada Research Chairs 2005
- Canadian Society for Nutrition
- Dietitians of Canada
- College of Dietitians of Ontario
- American Society for Nutrition
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine
- International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids
My research program focuses on the relationships among vitamin D, omega fat nutrition, body composition, and medical therapy with growth, bone health and development at both the whole body and biochemical level in human and animals. In essence, the fetal/infantile origins of health and disease are studied with respect to nutrition. This research has application to child health and management of disease states where growth and bone mass are compromised as a result of metabolic state or medical management. Naturally, by extension of good bone health in infancy and childhood, the research also relates to bone health across the life span. In particular, my research program includes bone health of women of and beyond childbearing years. New steps in my research project are directed at health of aging Canadians with respect to nutrition and bone along with assessment in children.
To view a list of Dr. Weiler's publications, click here.