Tool Kit - Starting Up & Advice
Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and practical experience offered by Dobson Centre.
Here, knowledge goes far beyond books and paper. If you’re interested in starting a business, take a look at our start-up toolkit which covers a variety of sources on the A-Z of planning, starting, and developing a new enterprise.
The entrepreneur’s toolkit for starting a business
Planning your business
- How to research your business idea
- Conducting market research and analysis (1) (2)
- Elements of a sustainable company
- Overview of business plans
- Sample business plans
- 60 sample business plans
- For small retailers
- For small service firms
- For small manufacturers
- Incorporation and legal structures
- What is the difference between copyright, trademark, and patent?
- Copyrights: legal details, getting a copyright, international copyright protection
- Trademarks: registering and enforcing
- Trademark basics and trademark application (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
- Patents: types of patents, getting a patent, international patent law
- Requirements for filing a patent (Canadian Intellectual Property Office)
Funding sources & investment
- Bank loans
- Tips for finding small business grants in Canada
- Introduction to venture capital
Raising money from venture capital firms and angel investors
- Valuing your start-up
- Other sources of financing
Managing your small business
Consulting, coaching, and mentorship to students of all levels and entrepreneurs in the Montreal community.
The Dobson Centre provides consulting, coaching, and mentorship to students and entrepreneurs in the Montreal community. Even if the expertise you need isn’t available within the Dobson Centre, we can refer you to a number of other organisations and resources with which we are affiliated, such as the McGill Consulting Business Group.
For more information about consulting, coaching, and mentorship, get in touch with Angela Burlton (on leave):
Phone: (514) 398-6320
angela [dot] burlton [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Books we recommend
- Disciplinned Entrepreneurship by Bill Aulet
- The Founder's Dilemmas by Noam Wasserman