The McGill Dobson Cup (MDC) Start-UP Boot Camp is all about action, training, knowledge, and collaboration. You will learn from successful start-UP veterans, students, lawyers, as well as, through interactive activities with your peers. Keep your eyes open for potential business partners, they are all around you!
The MDC Start-UP Boot Camp is this semester’s first event of the MDC Start-UP Competition. The MDC is your opportunity to pitch your business ideas to successful entrepreneurs for a chance to win from $60,000 in prize money. Better yet, winners receive mentorship from McGill’s most experienced entrepreneurs.
Open to ALL students from ALL faculties at McGill.
Friday, January 31, 2014 – 8:30am-6:00pm All events in Bronfman 151 (unless specified)
8:15-9:00 Registration (Bronfman 178)
9:00-9:30 Plenary Session
“Key Entrepreneurship Initiatives at the McGill Dobson Centre”
Gregory Vit, Associate Professor & Director of Dobson Centre
- Competitions and MIT GFSA Summer accelerator
MDC past winners sharing their start-up experiences.
- Martin Weiss, 1st Place MDC 2011, Moral Fibers
- Jan Roos, VitalitySci.com
- Toby Welch-Richards, Uniiv.com
“Intellectual Property & Protection of Personal Information and Social Media Issues in the context of starting-up”
Charles Chevrette, Management Partner, McMillan LLP
- Charles is a Québec market leader in private equity, venture capital mergers and acquisitions, as well as in sophisticated cross-border transactions. He is particularly active in technology-related investments and M&As (IT, telecom, biotech, aerospace and energy) and in the financial services sector.
Elisa Henry, Lawyer & Trade Mark Agent, McMillan LLP
- Elisa advises clients on a wide range of commercial issues and drafts license and distribution agreements. Elisa serves clients in information technology, telecommunications, media, aeronautics, retail, chemicals, health care, pharmaceuticals, and professional services, among others.
10:30-11:00 Break (Bronfman lobby)
11:00-12:30 Keynote Speakers
“Starting-up” (20min presentation followed by 10min Q&A)
Helge Seetzen, CEO of TandemLaunch Technologies
- Helge is a successful multi-media technology entrepreneur with deep experience in the university tech transfer space. (Ph.D. in interdisciplinary imaging technology - physics & computer science)
Dr. Anita Nowak, Integrating Director of the Social Economy Initiative
- Anita’s commitment to the non-profit sector runs deep, having served as a board member, volunteer, and an integral part of many social enterprise committees. (BCom)
Tim Tokarsky, Software guru / Investor
- Tim has been involved as CEO, founder, board member, investor and operational manager in many successful (and unsuccessful) technology start-ups. (B.Sc Geophysics)
12:30-1:30 Networking Lunch. Bring your appetite. Food provided. (Bronfman 2nd floor)
1:30-3:30 MES Start-Up Exercises & Activities
This is an opportunity to meet and collaborate with participants who possess a diverse set of talents. You will have the chance to work on pitching skills, and engage with a small team to work on a fun and creative exercise.
3:30-4:00 Break (Bronfman lobby)
4:00-5:00 Interactive and inclusive discussion with MDC mentors/judges and past MDC winners - your participation is encouraged! Followed by final words & wrap-up.
5:00-6:00 Wine & cheese (Bronfman 2nd floor)
Cap off the day with a glass of white! Enjoy delicious appetizers, refreshments, as well as wine & cheese.