McGill's Counselling Service emphasizes awareness and prevention, supporting the belief that dealing with problems before they become unmanageable is the key to health and wellness. Focusing less on diagnosis and more on each client's strength and capacity for change, we work with students to help them build the skills they need to solve problems, make decisions and cope more effectively with life's major stressors and daily demands.
Our approach draws on a holistic view of the individual, recognizing that each of us is composed of various facets – physical, psychological, social and spiritual – and that each of these facets requires attention in order to live a full and healthy life.
Just as each of our clients' situations is unique, so too are their therapy needs. For some, a brief intervention or answers to worrying questions may relieve their concerns, while others will require ongoing therapy in order to achieve their personal goals. Please see Our Services to learn more about what we offer, and watch the video below for an even better idea of how Counselling can help!
The Counselling psychology values
- We believe everyone experiences their own unique challenges as they grow and develop
- We view students as being able to overcome their difficulties.
- We practice from a short-term approach builds on student’s resourcefulness and existing strengths.
- We recognize that personal development, academic performance, and career planning are all interrelated.
- We know that students affect and are affected by the individuals and circumstances around them.
- We are sensitive to student diversity.