LinkedIn SCS

International Students

Depending on citizenship and length of stay, International Students will require different documentation in order to study in Canada.

You should inquire early about visa regulations and processing time at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate located in your region. Consult the Immigration Canada website for the closest visa office in your area.

IMPORTANT: Get started early with all aspects of your application process.

Visas and Study Permits

  • If you are certain that you will study for less than 6 consecutive months, you only need to apply for a Visitor's Visa from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate nearest to you. Please note that a Visitor’s Visa or Visitor’s Stamp in your passport usually cannot be changed to a Study Permit within Canada. You may also require an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization).
  • If you wish to study for more than 6 months, you must apply for one year in order to obtain a Study Permit issued by Immigration Canada and the Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ). For information, see the Immigration Quebec website.
  • For the Canadian Embassy or Consulate nearest to you, please see Canadian Embassies and Consulates

For more information on applying for study permits, see International Students.

McGill does not assume responsibility if you do not obtain your visa or study permit for the term to which you are applying.

Please inquire with the appropriate immigration authorities to ensure that you will receive the necessary documents on time.

Compulsory International Health Insurance

You are required to purchase the compulsory International Health Insurance from McGill’s School of Continuing Studies, which meets the health insurance requirements of Immigration Quebec.

International students in intensive Certificate of Proficiency programs must purchase coverage for the entire duration of their studies at McGill. Students must be registered in order to maintain coverage. However, extension of coverage is provided when the student is enrolled in more than one session. Coverage is provided between sessions.


1 Term

1 Year




FAMILY (one dependent)



FAMILY (more than one dependent)



  • Single refers to coverage for the student only
  • Family (one dependent) refers to coverage for the student and one other dependent, such as a spouse or a child
  • Family (more than one dependent) refers to coverage for the student and all of his/her dependents such as spouse and his/her children

Google Code for Remarketing Tag