LinkedIn SCS

Supporting Documents

Your application will not be processed until all required supporting documentation has been received by the School of Continuing Studies.
Please check Minerva to verify whether we have received your supporting documents – we update this information regularly as documents are received.
In general, students applying to graduate programs will need to provide the following supporting documents as part of their application:

  • If you have already graduated, you need to provide an official transcript confirming degree completion and the date the degree was awarded.
  • If you have not already graduated, you need to provide a letter from your university stating the intended date of graduation.
  • You must attach copies of two valid pieces of identification to your application form such as a birth certificate, passport or Canadian citizenship card (copy of both sides).
  • You need to provide Proof of English Proficiency (for Career and Professional Development only – see Language Policy)

After you are admitted to a program, you will need to submit certain legal documents before you can register for courses. These legal documents will also determine your tuition rates. For more information, see Legal Documents.

Transcript Requirements

  • Official transcripts in the original language or certified copies of your complete university-level academic record must be sent directly to McGill University by all universities that you have previously attended.
  • Transcripts in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation provided by the institution issuing the transcript or by a certified translator.
  • Transcripts, or certified copies, must be official, bearing the university seal with full name and signature of the registrar on every page of the document. They must include the grading key along with an explanation of the grading system.
  • Transcripts, or certified copies, must be sent directly by the institution in a sealed, stamped and signed envelope, or they may be sent electronically via CREPUQ (Quebec only).
  • If the transcript does not indicate that a degree has been conferred, a certified copy of the degree certificate (diploma)  will also be required.
  • Students who have completed studies at McGill do not need to submit an official transcript. However, they must submit any other required supporting documentation.

Avoid delays! Make your transcript requests and any other arrangements required for submitting your supporting documents as soon as possible.

Official versus unofficial transcripts
Transcripts uploaded via Minerva or student copies of transcripts submitted by mail are considered unofficial. If you are eligible for admission, you will also need to provide official transcripts sent directly to us by mail in a sealed envelope by the institution at which you have studied. Your offer of admission will be contingent upon the receipt and verification of these official documents.
It is recommended that you submit a student copy of your transcript along with your application when you upload supporting documents. While it is not a substitute for the official transcript, the student copy can sometimes assist in the processing of your application.

Evaluation of foreign degrees
Students who have received a degree from an educational institution outside of Canada may need to have their degree evaluated for equivalency by Immigration Quebec. After the School’s preliminary review of your supporting documents, we will notify you if you need to have your degree evaluated for equivalency. You will then need to request an Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec (Comparative Evaluation for Studies done outside Quebec). For information, see the Immigration Quebec website or call 514-864-9191.
This evaluation must be submitted before the application for admission can be processed.

Additional Supporting Documents for Career and Professional Development Programs and Graduate Translation Programs

Some graduate programs require a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) – refer to individual program descriptions for details. Applicants whose CGPA does not meet the minimum requirement must also submit the following documents in support of their application for admission:

1. Letter of Intent
A letter, one to two pages in length, single spaced, written in English or French, which addresses the following:

  • the basis for your interest in the program
  • your knowledge that would be pertinent to the program
  • your interest in the field of study and the reasons for applying to the program
  • your plans for integrating the training into your current or future career
  • a description of your professional experience and its relevance, if applicable, to the program
  • awards received or other contributions
  • any additional information relevant to your application

    2. Curriculum Vitae     
    Two Letters of Reference: At least one letter should be from a current or former employer.
    4. GMAT and/or GRE Test Score Results (optional):  Submit a copy of your official test score results.

    Uploading Documents
    Students can upload supporting documents for their application using Minerva. See Step 4 – Submit Supporting Documentation for details.

    Advanced Standing
    If you are seeking advanced standing in your program, you will need to submit a Credit/Exemption Request Form (Request for Advanced Standing) along with all required supporting documents.
    For more information, see Advanced Standing.

    Exemption by Examination (for Career and Professional Development only)
    Students admitted to a graduate certificate or diploma program requiring a prerequisite or corequisite course must show proof that they have taken an equivalent course elsewhere or successfully pass the Exemption by Examination test. Otherwise they must register for the course.
    For more information, see Exemption by Examination.

    Google Code for Remarketing Tag