Project Stakeholder Buy-in: Win the support you need for your projects
All Project Managers struggle with getting people committed to their projects. This issue applies to all types of projects and across all industries. PMs need practical tools and templates to guide their efforts in dealing with difficult stakeholders and office “politics” in order to win support for their projects.
Participants will enjoy real-life cases and application of the concepts to real project situations.
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: 688 Sherbrooke Street West, room to be confirmed
Fee: $495.00 CAD plus applicable taxes
PMI® Professional Development Units (PDUs): 7
Many projects fail simply because they don’t gain the support they need. This course demonstrates tools and approaches to better understand stakeholders, to manage communication and relationships. Learn how to deal with the human issues of conflict, role misalignment, ‘difficult individuals’, authority, politics that are prevalent in the project landscape.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Better understand their stakeholders and how to gain their commitment to their project.
- Apply a simple project ‘stakeholder analysis’ to enable effective project communications.
- Deal effectively with stakeholders in dealing with conflict, responding to requests for change, and monitoring work.
- Gain the ‘pulse’ of a project team and take measures to enhance team cohesiveness.
- Understand key aspects of ‘politics’ and authority in order to get things done.
- Better deal with ‘chronic trouble makers’.
Topics covered include:
- Aligning Stakeholder Requirements
- Stakeholder Analysis and Communications
- ‘Situational Leadership’ to manage individuals and teams.
- Dealing with conflict
- Handling requests for change
- Gaining authority
- Dealing with organisational ‘politics’
- The role of assertiveness to getting what you need
- Difficult personalities
Who Should Attend
- Project managers
- Project coordinators
- Project administrators
Lloyd Bartlett, P. Eng., MBA, PMP
Lloyd Bartlett is a certified Project Management Professional PMP and professional engineer with some 30 years experience in managing projects on a national and international scale. He has developed, adapted and applied project management techniques within a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, IT, transportation and construction. He holds an MBA (Project Management) from Queen's University. He is a member of the Order of Engineers of Quebec (since 1976), and is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). In 2008 he was presented with Continuing Education's "Distinguished Teaching Award”.
How to register
All cancellation & substitution requests must be made in writing. The following Cancellation Policy applies:
Up to 14 days prior to the start date: Full refund
7 days prior to the start date: Refund minus $100 Cancellation fee
Within 7 days of the start date: No Refund, however suitable participation substitution will be permitted
If no notice is given prior to the start of the event(s) and you fail to attend, you will be liable for the full course fee.
McGill SCS reserves the right to cancel an event up to 5 days prior to its start.
E-mail: pd [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca