McGill SCS Test of English Language Proficiency (TELP)
Students who wish either to apply to or register in Continuing Studies programs and courses, but who cannot provide proof of proficiency in English may register for and take the McGill SCS Test of English Language Proficiency (McGill SCS-TELP). The purpose of the test is to assess a student’s level of proficiency in English.
The test lasts approximately four hours and is made up of five components:
- Oral Interview
- Listening Comprehension
- Written Expression
- Grammatical Structures
- Reading Comprehension
TELP Test Dates and Fees
Tests will be held from 4:30 to 9:00 p.m. on the following dates:
Friday, March 20, 2015
Friday, April 24, 2015
Friday, May 15, 2015
Friday, June 12, 2015
The McGill SCS-TELP begins at 4:30 p.m. Students will be given oral interview appointments on a first-come, first serve basis. Students who arrive after 5:00 pm may not be admitted.
Please bring two (2) pieces of photo ID with you to the test. No reference materials are permitted.
The fee for the test is $110 (non-refundable). Payment is required prior to writing the test. Students must sign up for the test at least 24 hours in advance. Space is limited and registration works on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Students who do not receive an email confirmation after registering for the test should call 514-398-2681.
Please note that all fees are non-refundable.
Please note that the chosen date is fixed and final. If you cannot attend the date you registered for, you must register again for a new test date.
TELP Test Results
After students take the test, they will be placed in one of three categories (A, B or C), based on their level of English proficiency.
If your test results placed you in:
• Are eligible to apply for admission to a Career and Professional Development (C&PD) program, provided the necessary academic admission requirements are met
• Will be permitted to register in a maximum of two CPD courses* per semester for two consecutive semesters, provided academic requirements are met
• Must concurrently pursue the English courses CEEN 421 (Written Communication Contexts) and CEEN 422 (Oral Communication Contexts) and achieve a grade of B- or higher in each course
• Are not eligible to register for CPD courses
* Management courses must be approved by CPD or advisor.
Test results will be available 3 to 4 days after the McGill SCS-TELP has been written at 688 Sherbrooke St. West, Suite 1181. If you choose to pick up the test result in person, you must show two pieces of photo ID.
Taking the test does not guarantee a place in a course or admission to a program. The results of the test are valid for one year. Students are not permitted to write the McGill SCS-TELP more than once per semester.