Quick Links

Information for International Students

International Students Applying to Graduate Level Programs

Applicants who have studied outside Canada are advised to request an evaluation of their degree called an “Évaluation comparative des études effectuées hors du Québec” from Québec’s Ministère de l’immigration et de Communautés culturelles”. Further details can be found on the web at, http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/education/comparative-evaluation/index.html or by calling (514) 864-9191. International students should refer to this page for information on how to obtain a visa and study permit.

Students will require a full time study plan in order to satisfy immigration requirements. This equivalency evaluation will be required along with an official transcript when applying for admission.

Health Insurance

By Senate regulations, all international students and their dependants are required to participate in the University’s sickness and accident plan. The McGill plan meets the Immigration Québec health insurance requirements. In order to purchase Blue Cross medical insurance, refer to the table below to determine the type of coverage and cost. Students must purchase coverage for the entire duration of their studies at McGill.

While completing the Intensive English Language program, you will be required to purchase insurance as follows:


1 session

1 year










The fee must be paid in advance with your application. Students must be registered in order to maintain coverage. The period of coverage does not exceed 75 consecutive days of insurance. However, extension of coverage is provided when the student is enrolled in more than one session. Coverage is provided between sessions.

  • Single refers to coverage for the student only
  • One dependant refers to coverage for the student and one other dependant, such as a spouse or a child
  • More than one dependant refers to coverage for the student and all of his/her dependants such as spouse and his/her children

While completing the Career and Professional Development program, you will be required to purchase insurance as follows:

By Senate regulation, all students (full-time, part-time, special, exchange and visiting) and their accompanying dependants who do not have Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident status must participate in the University's compulsory sickness and accident plan. For enrolment procedures and details on the health insurance plan, students should consult the International Student Services Website. All inquiries related to this University policy must be directed to International Student Services.

International Health Insurance Telephone: (514) 398-6012
E-mail: international [dot] health [at] mcgill [dot] ca
Website: www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/health

International Student Health and Accident Plan (compulsory) (based on 2008-2009 rates)





Family (one with two or more dependants)


For further information please contact – ielps [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca