Certificate in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
The non-credit McGill Certificate in TESOL is a four-week, innovative, limited-enrolment, professional development mini-program for English as a Second/Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) teachers whose native language is not English. It is offered in a blended learning format and consists of four 30-hour courses (12 CEUs).
The TESOL program is intended for experienced ESL/EFL teachers and professors who wish to enhance their teaching skills and polish their English language skills. It addresses the demands placed on ESL/EFL teachers and professors in today’s globalized world, and covers a wide range of themes such as best pedagogical practices, classroom management, technology in the language classroom, the role of culture in language teaching, and collaborative learning among others.
As part of their professional development, teachers will refine their English language skills, explore Canadian teaching methods, approaches, and practices, have professional and social exchanges with their Canadian counterparts, experience Canadian culture, and practice teaching in English in a multicultural classroom.
The McGill Certificate in TESOL is subject to McGill University’s highest standards of excellence. It aims to provide top-of-the-line, internationally recognized, professional development training in the field of teaching English as a Second or Foreign language (TESL/TEFL).
This program is open to groups as well as to individuals.
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Increased fluency in English
- Improved verbal and written communication skills for the English classroom
- Improved interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Increased self-confidence when teaching ESL or teaching in English
- Improved ability to create and conduct student-centered classes in English
- Four weeks of results-yielding and exciting professional development training
- Objectives targeted specifically to the needs of experienced teachers
- Classes made up of primary, secondary, college, and university teachers from around the world
- Cultural discovery activities to explore aspects of Canadian culture
- Excursions in and around Montreal, Ottawa, and/or Quebec City
- Exclusive opportunities to network with peers
- Professional environment combining comfort and Ivy-league charm at McGill University’s downtown campus
- Update and enhance your language teaching skills
- Optimize your performance in English and overcome language barriers that can hinder your efficiency
- Develop a better understanding of intercultural communication
- Build relationships with other teachers around the world
- Receive the official McGill University Certificate in TESOL upon successful completion of the program
- Experience life in multicultural Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Practice teaching in a real multicultural classroom
For more information
Please contact: Ms. France Bruneau