Communicating for Results
Communication breakdowns are often cited as a source of frustration, at work or at home. Improving communication skills can lead to increases in work or life satisfaction, as well as to the attainment of professional or personal goals. While introspection and analysis can help us understand some of the issues that come between us and other people, developing and applying practical communication tips and techniques can produce surprisingly effective results.
Date: November 25-26, 2013 | Offered again: January 27, 2014
Time: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Location: CEGEP Champlain - St. Lawrence
Quebec City, Qc
Date: February 17, 2014
Time: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
Location: 688 Sherbrooke Street West
Course Fee: $ 745 CAD plus applicable taxes
Workshop Fee: $745.00 CAD plus applicable taxes
PMI® Professional Development Units (PDUs): 14
Participants identify their communication styles and learn to incorporate communication techniques to improve their relationships and attain their goals. Topics include: communication styles, obstacles to communication, active listening, intentional responding, solutions-based communication techniques, and tips and techniques to offer constructive feedback and build trust.
At the end of this workshop the participants will be able to:
- Understand the impact of their communication style and adapt to different communication audiences
- Identify and resolve communication breakdowns
- Apply active listening skills and intentional responding techniques to convey empathy and keep communication channels open
- Apply techniques to diffuse tension and solve problems in difficult communications
- Build trust in their relationships
- Apply constructive feedback techniques to improve relationships and attain goals.
Topics covered include:
- Communication styles
- Obstacles to communication
- Active listening skills
- Intentional responding techniques
- Trust-building skills and techniques
- Solutions-based communication techniques
- Constructive feedback techniques.
Who Should Attend
Professionals seeking to improve their communication skills
Ann Brosseau, M.A., PhD(c) With an educational background in the fields of psychology, sociology, adult education and human resource management and 20 years experience in training and education, Ms. Brosseau specializes in helping learners develop useful and relevant interpersonal, leadership and human resource management skills required to excel in the workplace - as employees, team members, managers or human resource professionals. Building on the experience of learners, she favours an experiential, hands-on approach to learning.
How to register
All cancellation & substitution requests must be made in writing. The following Cancellation Policy applies:
Up to 14 days prior to the start date: Full refund
7 days prior to the start date: Refund minus $100 Cancellation fee
Within 7 days of the start date: No Refund, however suitable participation substitution will be permitted
If no notice is given prior to the start of the event(s) and you fail to attend, you will be liable for the full course fee.
McGill SCS reserves the right to cancel an event up to 5 days prior to its start.
E-mail: pd [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca