During this five-day intensive course each participant will be introduced to a mentor who will be available for consultation throughout the program. Various sessions will provide an overview of democratic and parliamentary principles, as well as the particular skills required of parliamentary staff. Discussions on these topics will permit participants to share their views, acquire a better appreciation of each other’s parliaments and set the stage for the rigorous online component of the program. Distinguished keynote speakers will also give their perspective on the topics covered.
Dates: 19 – 23 March, 2018
Location: Enashipai Resort and Spa, Naivasha, Kenya
- Democracy, Accountability, and Parliaments
- Government Accountability
- Core Functions of Parliament
- Oversight & Corruption
- Legislative-Executive Relations
- Corporate Management of Parliament
- Benchmarking Parliamentary Performance
- Parliamentary Research
- Acquire a comprehensive understanding of democratic and parliamentary principles, as well as trends and challenges faced by parliaments
- Appreciate the skills required of parliamentary staff
- Meet your mentor who will accompany you throughout the program
- Network and share work experiences with international colleagues
- Hear from distinguished keynote speakers
This course is part of the Professional Development Certificate in Parliamentary Management. For more information, click here.
Please review the admission requirements.
If you wish to apply to the program, please download, complete and sign the Application for Admission form and send it via email to parl.scs [at] mcgill.ca
Participants in the program are considered to be guests of the University and can benefit from the discounted rates offered through McGill's Official Hotels Program. To view the hotels listings and to make a reservation, please click here.
Questions pertaining to accommodations may be directed by parl.scs [at] mcgill.ca (email).
It is the responsibility of the participant to procure a visa. Please apply early as visa processing might take between 6 – 8 weeks. A formal acceptance letter can be requested from McGill and used to facilitate your visa application.
All cancellation & substitution requests must be made in writing. The following policy applies:
Up to 30 calendar days prior to the start date: Full refund, minus $100 administration fee.
Within 30 days of the start date: No refund, however suitable participation substitution will be permitted.
If no notice is given prior to the start of the program and you fail to attend, you will be liable for the full program fee.
For registration inquiries:
E-mail: parl.scs [at] mcgill.ca
For program inquiries:
Dr. Frederick (Rick) Stapenhurst: frederick.stapenhurst [at] mcgill.ca