This course will expose students to a number of additional specialized topics, each of which significantly impacts Chartered Business Valuators in real-world practice. Emphasis is placed on such areas as law, corporate reorganizations, quantification of damages and expert witness scenarios, earn-outs, taxation of damage awards; employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) and public company matters
Dates: March 6 - 10 April, 2018
Day & Time: Tuesdays, 6 - 9 pm (March 6, 13, 20, 24, 27; April 3); 2 Saturdays, 9 am - 4 pm (March 10 & April 7)
Regular Course Fee: $1,495*
McGill Alumni Fee: $1,271*
Course duration: 35 hours in class plus approximately 30 hours of readings and assignments
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 6.5
* Fees for non-credit courses apply
This course is part of the Professional Development Certificate in Business Valuation. For more information, click here.
If you wish to register for an individual course without being admitted to the program, please click here for registration instructions.
- Securities Regulations
- Breaches of contract
- Shareholders’ agreements, non-compete agreements and management agreements
- Rights of minority shareholders and creditors
- Sections 85 - 88 and Section 22 allowable elections
- Accretion/dilution analysis
- Tax treatment of damages and litigation awards
- Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
The CBV as an Expert Witness
- CICBV standards and codes as they apply to being an expert witness
- Overview of the Canadian court system
- Litigation issues
- Admissibility and weight of expert evidence
- Stages of a legal proceeding
- Critiquing other experts
Quantification of Damages and Other Awards
- Nature of loss quantification
- Establishing liability in breaches of contract
- Establishing liability in torts
- Accounting of profits approach
- Going private transactions and fairness opinions
For information regarding tuition payment please refer to: Student Accounts
Third Party Billing
If you have an agreement with your employer whereby the company should be billed directly for your course fees, please refer here for instructions on initiating a Third Party Sponsorship.
Course Drop/Withdrawal Policy
- Any time prior to the 1st class: Course Drop Period with Full Refund.
- After the 1st and before the 2nd class: Course Drop Period with Refund minus $20 fee.
- After the 2nd class: Course Withdrawal with No Refund.
E-mail: pd.conted [at] mcgill.ca