Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence have been identified as key ingredients for success in the professional world. Professionals from any and all fields of expertise need to rely on their interpersonal skills when interacting with others. These skills define their success in countless interactions, from communicating with colleagues, subordinates, superiors, clients and other stakeholders, to presentations and professional writing (work e-mails, contracts, etc.). Evidence of the growing value and significance of interpersonal skills can be found in the emphasis placed on professional standards and competencies by an increasing number of professional orders and associations.
|Dates||Day & Time||Fees|
March 22 - April 26
Thursdays, 6 - 9 pm.
Saturdays: 9 am. - 4 pm.
Live Online Section
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 4.5
PMI® Professional Development Units (PDUs): 30 (0.00 Technical, 30.00 Leadership, 0.00 Strategic)
Duration: 30 hours in class + 15 hours of assignments and readings
* Fees for non-credit courses apply
This course is part of the Professional Development Certificate in Project Management. For more information, click here.
This course is part of the Professional Development Certificate in Management Consulting. For more information, click here.
This course is part of the Professional Development Certificate in Business Valuation. For more information, click here.
If you wish to register for an individual course without being admitted to a certificate program, please click here for registration instructions.
The objective of this course is to help participants develop effective interpersonal skills. Emphasis is placed on the following areas: communication styles, emotional intelligence, conflict resolution, working with teams and influencing others, workplace diversity and intercultural communication, presentation skills, and facilitation skills. As a result of acquiring and developing these interpersonal skills, learners can increase their overall professional effectiveness.
- Components of communication
- Personality and communication styles
- Active listening and intentional responding
- The gift of feedback, coaching
- Workplace diversity and intercultural aspects of communication
- Working with emotional intelligence
- Conflict resolution
- Sources and types of conflict
- Direct and indirect conflict
- Conflict resolution strategies and styles
- Working with and influencing others
- Teamwork and team dynamics
- Leading and influencing others
- Presentation skills
- Facilitation skills
For information regarding tuition payment please refer to: Student Accounts
Third Party Billing
If you have an agreement with your employer whereby the company should be billed directly for your course fees, please refer here for instructions on initiating a Third Party Sponsorship.
Course Drop/Withdrawal Policy
- Any time prior to the 1st class: Course Drop Period with Full Refund.
- After the 1st and before the 2nd class: Course Drop Period with Refund minus $20 fee.
- After the 2nd class: Course Withdrawal with No Refund.
E-mail: pd.conted [at] mcgill.ca