Proficiency in Training and Development is a skill that is inconsistently taught in school or on-the-job. Employees are often placed in these positions with very little formal training. They generally excel in their knowledge of the subject matter, are personable, or are good communicators; however their knowledge and skills in training are mostly acquired on their own by trial and error. As a result, they use their common sense on what seems to work. This creates a serious gap in how employees in organizations are trained: Is the training truly effective? Is it consistent across the organization? Are business needs and results being achieved?
CSTD (Canadian Society for Training and Development) Canada's association for workplace learning, training and development recognizes that the McGill School of Continuing Studies program, Training and Development – Tools and Techniques aligns with the core competencies of the profession, including: assessing performance needs, instructional design, facilitation of learning, supporting the transfer of learning and evaluating training. These are outlined in the professional body of knowledge: Competencies for Training and Development Professionals© CSTD 2010 and have been adopted as a standard of practice by thousands of organizations and individuals.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who are interested in working in a training and development capacity
- New or experienced employees in an organization who have been tasked with training other employees as part of their job function.
This mini-program is ideal for anyone who is dedicated to:
- Improving individual and team performance
- Learning, integrating, and maintaining proven tools and techniques in a training environment
- Providing others with a profound learning experience that gets translated in improved performance, morale, and confidence
- Beyond Training: Needs Analysis
- Beyond Training: Measuring the Value of Learning
- Delivering Effective Training
- Designing Effective Training
- Advanced Instructional Techniques
Sonia Di Maulo, M.A., CRP (Certified ROI Professional)
Sonia Di Maulo is an award-winning performance improvement professional, author, and founder of Harvest Performance. She is passionate about helping leaders find the right approaches and processes to grow their teams’ potential through trust and collaboration.
Her Master’s degree in Educational Technology and a Bachelor’s degree received with distinction in Communication Studies are the foundations for her passion. In 2003 and 2011 Sonia received Awards of Excellence from the International Society of Performance Improvement for Outstanding Instructional Interventions.
She works with local, national, and global companies in diverse sectors with an important focus on delivering needs-based solutions that are meaningful, sustainable, and improve the way we work and connect. Using proven performance improvement practices and principles, Sonia helps organizations improve their work environment and team engagement. It’s all about relationships.
E-mail: pd.conted [at] mcgill.ca