Advanced standing may be granted to students who provide proof of equivalent credit courses completed in other programs at McGill or another recognized university.
The following criteria must be met for students to be eligible for advanced standing:
- You must apply to an undergraduate or graduate certificate or diploma program.
- Equivalent courses must be a minimum of 3 credits to be considered for evaluation.
- Equivalent courses must have been taken at a recognized institution within the last five years.
Students who wish to apply for advanced standing should complete a Credit / Exemption Request Form (Request for Advanced Standing) at the time they apply to the School.
Requests for advanced standing made after a student is admitted to a program will be delayed until the following session. The application process and policies are the same as advanced standing requests made when applying to the School.
The following policies apply to requests for advanced standing:
- If you are applying for admission to a 30-credit undergraduate certificate or a graduate-level diploma program, you are permitted to submit a maximum of three courses for evaluation per admission application.
- A maximum of 9 credits may be granted for either an undergraduate certificate or graduate- level diploma program.
- A maximum of 3 credits may be granted for a graduate certificate program.
- If you intend to apply for admission to a 15-credit graduate certificate program, you are permitted to submit a maximum of 2 courses for evaluation per admission application.
- Students are not permitted to register in courses for which they have been granted credits and/or exemptions.
Advanced standing is granted in one of two forms:
- EXEMPTION: Students exempted from a course do not have to retake the course. However, to ensure that the program requirements are met, a particular course must be replaced by an authorized substitution which is approved by the Career and Professional Development department. The academic adviser will inform students of the courses that are considered to be acceptable substitutes. Note: If you are granted an exemption for a corequisite course, you are not required to replace it with an authorized substitution.
- CREDIT: Students given credit for a course do not have to take that course, nor do they have to replace it with another course.
Students applying to an undergraduate program may be granted credits or exemptions ONLY for equivalent credit courses completed at McGill or another recognized university, provided that the courses in question were successfully completed within the last five years AND with a minimum grade of C or better.
Students applying to a graduate program may be granted credits or exemptions ONLY for equivalent credit courses completed at the graduate level at McGill or another recognized university, provided that the courses in question were successfully completed within the last five years AND with a minimum grade of B- or better.
How to Apply for Advanced Standing:
- Complete and submit the Credit/Exemption Request Form (Request for Advanced Standing) to Client Services of the School of Continuing Studies, together with all required documents outlined below.
- Include an unofficial copy of your transcript.
- Attach detailed official course outline(s) (indicating textbook used, chapter/topics covered, etc.) for any relevant courses. Summary course descriptions are not acceptable.
- Make arrangements for official transcripts to be sent directly from the institution where the course(s) were taken to Client Services – Admissions at the School of Continuing Studies.
- Attach a letter outlining the reasons for your credit/exemption request and any additional supporting documentation as required.
- Independent (special) students are not eligible to apply for advanced standing.
- Requests will not be considered unless all required documents have been received.
- Allow at least six weeks for the evaluation process.
- All decisions are final and may not be appealed.
Completed Credit/Exemption Request Forms and relevant supporting documents must be scanned and sent as PDF files to admissions [dot] conted [at] mcgill [dot] ca or delivered to:
School of Continuing Studies – Admissions
688 Sherbrooke Street West, 11th Floor, Room 1199
Montreal, QC H3A 3R1