1. Position Title: Coordinating Assistant - Orientation Centre
2. Title of Immediate Supervisor: First-Year Coordinator
3. Place of Work: Campus Life & Engagement (CL&E)
Brown Student Services Building, Suite 3100
3600 McTavish Street, Montreal, Quebec H3A 0G3
4. Position Summary:
Under the direct supervision of the First-Year Coordinator, the Coordinating Assistant - Orientation Centre assists with the integration of new students into the McGill and Montreal communities through the organization and coordination of the Orientation Centre and the First-Year Resource Room. This includes the creation of promotional material, acquiring sponsorship, equipment & display rentals, recruiting and supervising volunteers, scheduling, coordinating information and program evaluation. This person serves as the Student Services Receptionist and is located in the lobby of the Brown Student Services Building. The candidate also assists with other Campus Life & Engagement programs, as required.
5. Job Content – Tasks and Responsibilities
Orientation Centre and Resource Room, Discover McGill and CL&E
- Coordinates display of campus-wide activities and services at the Orientation Centre and is responsible for the design and distribution of all related publicity;
- Acts as liaison between Student Services, city and campus organizations (for display materials);
- Updates and adds to existing mailing lists and databases in order to gain appropriate sponsorship/prizes from both McGill and Montreal communities for the Orientation Centre and other orientation-related programs;
- Ensures the Centre has a diverse and adequate number of pamphlets relating to University and city activities (i.e. banks, tourist maps and student clubs);
- Arranges display unit rental and set-up of the Centre, as well as computer loans and temporary telephone installation requisitions for the Resource Room;
- Assists with the acquisition/purchase of items such as souvenirs and volunteer t-shirts, etc. and maintains up-to-date records of all financial transactions;
- Designs, develops and distributes an evaluation on the effectiveness of the Orientation Centre;
- Recruits and supervises student volunteers; Maintains up-to-date volunteer databases;
- Assists with orientation package preparation for Discover McGill Orientation Week
- Assists with the coordination of the Volunteers’ Reception at the end of September;
- Prepares summary report regarding the Orientation Centre and Resource Room, highlighting organizational successes and/or challenges and makes recommendations for following year.
Brown Student Services Building Receptionist
- Performs in-person and telephone reception duties for the Brown Student Services Building;
Responsible for the daily distribution of internal and external mail for all Services within the Brown Student Services Building.
6. Required Qualifications & Skills:
- Full-time returning student in a degree program
- Bilingual (English, spoken and written and French, spoken)
- Service oriented;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated event planning and coordination experience
- Demonstrated volunteer coordination experience
- Sponsorship acquisition and/or fundraising experience
- Strong attention to detail, punctual, organized and professional
- Ability to be focussed and flexible
- Good knowledge of campus services and resources
- Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
NOTE: Will be tested on Word and/or Excel abilities as part of the interview process.
7. Supervision Received:
Candidate receives regular review of work. Employee works independently within the framework of established procedures and receives direction as to objectives and policies. Work supervised may be of a routine or variable nature.
8. Period of Employment:
May 1-August 20, 2014, full-time, 35 hours per week;
September 1 – September 30 part-time, approximately 6 hours per week.
9. Rate of Pay: $12.12 per hour.
10. How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and C.V. IN PERSON to by 4:00 p.m.Monday, March 17th:
Leslie Copeland, First-Year Coordinator
Campus Life & Engagement, Student Services
Brown Student Services Building, 3600 McTavish Street, Room 2100
N.B. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted (usually within two weeks).
Work Study applicants preferred - but not limited to them.
No electronic applications accepted.