B.S. (Tongji University, 1982)
M.S. (Tongji University, 1984)
Ph.D. (Northwestern University, 1995)
yixin.shao [at] mcgill.ca (E-mail)
Professor Shao’s expertise is in the area of civil engineering materials and their structural applications. His research is involved with fibre-reinforced cement-based composites, fibre-reinforced plastic composites, utilization of wastes, environment friendly building materials, durability, and Moiré interferometry for stress and strain analysis.
- Extrusion process of fibre-cement thin sheets, structural shapes and honeycomb panels
- Carbon dioxide fast curing of cement and concrete products
- Strain hardening of fibre-reinforced cement based composites: mechanism and fabrication
- Cement-bonded wood products
- Durability of polymer concrete overlay for bridge and parking garage decks
- Utilization of waste glass in concrete
- FRP composite as the stay-in-place formwork for concrete
- Modeling and design of pultruded FRP structural shapes
- Durability of FRP composites for construction
- Analysis and design of pultruded composite sheet pile walls
- Laser Moire interferometry for cement composites, polymer composites, smart materials and electronic packages
Research opportunities for companies
- Cement-based building products by extrusion production. Types of product: thin sheet, solid block and honeycomb panel. Features: lightweight, fire resistant, stiff, fibre reinforced, high toughness, frost resistant. Applications: roofing tile, flooring tile, siding, partition board, thermal and sound insulating board, wall panel, hollow block, insulating concrete form, etc.
- Mechanical and durability tests of building materials: strength, stiffness interfacial bond property, thermal analysis, reliability study and verification of finite element modeling.
- Analysis, design and tests of pultruded composite shapes: for civil and geotechnical engineering applications.
Current graduate research
- Strength, stiffness and durability design of pultruded composite sheet pile walls
- High performance fibre-reinforced concrete
- Extrusion of lightweight cement-based building products
- Carbon dioxide fast curing of cement and concrete products
- Strain analysis of composites and electronic packages using laser Moire interferometry
- "Engineering Class of '44 Award for Outstanding Teaching", Faculty of Engineering, McGill University, 2000.
- "Canada Foundation for Innovation Researcher", Canada Foundation for Innovation, 1998.
Representative publications journal papers
- Shao, Y. and Shanmugam, J. (2003), "Deflection Creep of Pultruded Composite Sheet Piling", ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, in press.
- Giroux, C. and Shao, Y. (2003), "Flexural and Shear Rigidity of Composite Sheet Piles", ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction 7(4), November.
- Shao, Y. and Kouadio, S. (2002), "Durability of Fiberglass Composite Sheet Piles in Water", ASCE Journal of Composites for Construction, November, pp. 280-287.
- Shao, Y. and Moras, S. (2002), "Strength, Toughness and Durability of Extruded cement Boards with Unbleached Kraft Pulp", ACI Special Publication 206, Concrete: Material Science to Application, A Tribute to Surendra P. Shah, Ed. Balaguru P., pp. 439-452.
- Shao, Y., Qiu, J. and Shah, S. P., (2001), "Microstructure of Extruded Cement-Bonded Fiberboard", Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 31, pp. 1153-1161.
- Shao, Y. Moras, S, Nulkem, N. and Kubes, G., (2000), "Wood Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites by Extrusion", Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 27(3), pp. 543-552.
- Shao, Y., Lefort, T., Moras, S. and Rodriguez, D., (2000), "Studies on Concrete Containing Ground Waste Glass", Cement and Concrete Research, 30, pp. 91-100.
- Shao, Y. Srinivasan, R. and Shah, S. P. (2000), "Effect of Material Constituents on Performance of Fiber-Reinforced Cementitious Thin Sheets", ACI Special Publication 190, High Performance Fiber reinforced Concrete Thin Sheet Products, Ed. Peled, A., Shah, S.P. and Banthia, N., pp. 41-53.
- Shao, Y., Srinivasan, R. and Shah, S. P. (2000), "Parameters Affecting High Performance Response in Fiber Reinforced Concrete." ACI Special Publication 185-2, High Performance Fiber-Reinforced Concrete in Infrastructural repair and retrofit, pp. 17-34.
- Shao, Y. Ouyang, C. and Shah, S. P. (1998), "Interface Behavior in Steel Fibre/Cement Composites under Tension." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 124(9), pp. 1037-1044.
- Shao, Y. and Shah, S. P. (1997), "Mechanical Properties of PVA Fibre Reinforced Cement Composites Fabricated by Extrusion Processing." ACI Materials Journal, November - December, pp. 555-564.
- Shao, Y., Marikunte, S. and Shah, S. P. (1995), "Extruded Fibre-Reinforced Composites." Concrete International, April, pp. 48-52.
- Shao, Y. Li, Z. and Shah, S. P. (1993), "Matrix Cracking and Interface Debonding in Fiber-Reinforced Cement Matrix Composites", Advanced Cement Based Materials, 1(2), pp. 55-66.
- Shao, Y. and Kouadio, S. (2003), "Prediction of Strength Loss in Saturated Composite Sheet Piling", CANCOM 2003, The 4th Canadian International Composites Conference, Ottawa, August.
- Shao, Y. (2003), "Extrusion of Cement Composites and Fast CO2 Curing", 2003 NSF Design, Service and Manufacturing Grantee Research Conference, Birmingham, Alabama, January, CD-ROM.
- Shao, Y., Giroux, C. and Bdeir, Z. (2002), "Determination of EI for Pultruded GFRP Sheet Pile Panels", ICCI-02, 3rd Inter. Conf. On Composites in Infrastructure, June, San Francisco,CA, CD-ROM, paper 44.
- Shao, Y. and Kouadio, S. (2002), "Water Absorption of FRP seawall Panels", CDCC-02, Proceedings of 2nd Inter. Conf. on Durability of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites for Construction, May, Montreal, pp. 587-596.
- Shi, C., Wu, Y., Shao, Y. and Riefler, M. (2002), "Comparison of Two Design Approaches for Self Compacted Concrete", 1st North American Conference on the Design and Use of Self-Consolidating Concrete, Center for Advanced Cement based Materials, Chicago, November 12-13, CD-ROM.
- Shao, Y. and Qiu, J. (2002), "The Role of Polymer Additives in Extrusion of Fiber-cement Composites", CD-ROM Proceedings of Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Montreal, June 5-8, MA-007.
- Shi, C. and Shao, Y. (2002), "What is the most Efficient Way to Activate the Reactivity of Fly Ash?" CD-ROM Proceedings of Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Montreal, June 5-8, MA-034.
- Shao, Y., Giroux, C. and Yeats, M. (2001), "An Experimental Study on Flexural Behavior of a Composite Seawall Unit", Proceedings of 3rd Canadian International Conference on Composites, Design, Manufacture and Applications of Composites, ed. Hoa, S., Johnston A. and Denault, J., Technomic Publishing Co. Inc. pp. 489-496.
- Shao, Y. and Jiang, L. (2001), "Freeze-Thaw Resistance of High Performance Fiber Reinforced Concrete", Proceedings of 3rd Int. Conf. On Concrete under Severe Conditions, ed. Banthia, N., Sakai, K. and Gjorv, O. E., UBC Press, pp. 447-455.
- Shao, Y. and Lehoux, P. (2001), "Feasibility of Using Ground Waste Glass as a Cementitious Material", Proceedings of International Symposium on Recycling and Reuse of Glass Cullet, ed. Dhir, R. K., Limbachiya, M. C. and Dyer, T. D., Thomas Tedford Publishing, pp. 209-219.
- Shao, Y., Nemes, J., Yeats, M. and Loblick, G, (2000), "GFRP - Concrete Flooring Deck", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Ottawa, CSCE Press, pp. 161-168.
- Shao, Y. and Giroux, C. (2000), "Moire Interferometry for Composite and Smart Materials", Proceedings of the 3rd CanSmart Workshop on Smart Materials and Structures, September 28-29, Canadian Space Agency, St-Hubert, Quebec, pp. 1-10.
- Moras, S. and Shao, Y. (2000), "Extruded Cement-Wood Fiberboard with Expanded Polystyrene Beads", Proceedings of the 7th International Inorganic-Bonded Wood and Fiber Composite Materials Conference, Sept. 25-27, Sun Valley, Idaho, USA, pp. 89-103.
- Shao, Y., Massam, L., Ryder, A., and Mirza, J. (2000), "Experience with sewage Ash in Concrete", 3rd Structural Specialty Conference of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineering, London, Ontario, June 7-10, pp. 371-377.
- Shao, Y., Lefort, T., Moras, S. and Rodriguez, D. (1998), "Waste Glass: A Possible Pozzolanic Material for Concrete", CANMET/ACI International Symposium on Sustainable Development of the Cement and Concrete Industry, October, Ottawa, pp. 317-326.
- Shao,Y. and Shah, S. P. (1998), "Extruding Cement-Bonded PVA-Fibreboard", Proceedings of 1998 Annual conference of CSCE, Halifax, June, pp. 87-196.
- Shao, Y. and Shah, S. P., (1998), "Properties and Applications of High Performance PVA Fibre Reinforced Concrete", First International Symposium on Synthetic Fibre Reinforced Concrete, ed. S.S. Kuo, Orlando, January, pp. 105-114.
- Shao, Y. and Shah, S. P., (1997), "Fibre-Matrix Interface in Composites", 2nd Symposium on Applied Mechanics, ed. K.W. Neale, 1997 Annual Conference of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Sherbrooke, May 27-30, pp. 229-238.
- Shao, Y. and Shanmugam, J. (2003), "Part V: Waterfront retaining wall design with IBP composite sheet piles", Report to IBP Corporation on CRD project, November, Department of Civil Engineering, McGill University.
- Shao, Y. and Shanmugam, J. (2002), "Part IV: Creep behavior of pultruded composite sheet pile panels", Report to IBP Corporation on CRD project, November, Department of Civil Engineering, McGill University.
- Shao, Y. and Bdeir, Z. (2002), "Part III: Deflection based design of composite sheet pile walls", Report to IBP Corporation on CRD project, January, Department of Civil Engineering, McGill University.
- Shao, Y. and Kouadio, S. (2001), "Part II: Durability of fiberglass sheet piles in water", Report to IBP Corporation on CRD project, April, Department of Civil Engineering, McGill University.
- Blain-Cosgrove E., Robinson, B. and Shao, Y. (2001), "Cement skin-expanded polystyrene (EPS) core building system, preliminary structural evaluation", Report to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) Proof of Concept project, November, McGill University.
- Shao, Y. and Giroux, C. (2000), "Part I: Flexural response of fiberglass composite seawall panels", Report to IBP Corporation on CRD project, November, Department of Civil Engineering, McGill University.