B.Eng (Montreal, 1980)
SM (MIT, 1984)
PhD (Montreal, 1989)
ghyslaine [dot] mcclure [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor McClure's specialty is structural dynamics. She joined McGill University as an assistant professor in January 1991 after five years of professional practice in transmission line engineering in Montreal, first at BELT-LAVALIN and then at Hydro-Québec. She was promoted to the rank of associate professor in 1997.
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ No. 34140); Liaison for the Faculty of Engineering
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (Fellow)
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society
- Director of Graduate Studies, Civil Engineering
- Dynamic response of lines to ice shedding from conductors: experimental and computational studies.
- Dynamic response of lines to conductor rupture: computational studies.
- Response of lines to high intensity winds.
- Advanced computational mechanics of stranded cables and conductors.
- Contributions to international design guidelines and standards (through CIGRÉ work).
- Development of vulnerability assessment methods
- Applications to post-critical buildings of the Montreal area (emergency shelters, schools and hospitals) and knowledge transfer
- Shake table testing of components
- Contributions to national design guidelines and standards (CSA S832)
- Experimental and computational mechanics studies
- Wind load monitoring
- Contributions to national design standards on wood buildings (CSA O86)
- Development of period data base for medium and high rise buildings in Montreal
- Assessment of low-rise light-frame buildings (wood, steel)
- Measurements of structural damping in buildings
- Contributions to National Building Code of Canada
Research network affiliations
- Canadian Seismic Research Network (CSRN), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Strategic Research Network. Member. (2008-present)
- Centre d’études interuniversitaires sur les structures sous charges extrêmes (CEISCE), (Centre for interuniversity studies of structures under extreme loads). Fondation Québécoise pour la Recherche Nature et Technologie (FQRNT). Member (2006-present) Centre d'étude interuniversitaire des structures sous charges extrêmes
- International Research Centre on Atmospheric Icing and Power Network Engineering (CENGIVRE), Université du Québec at Chicoutimi. Research Collaborator. (2003-present)
- Centre d'Infrastructures Sismiques Majeures Interuniversitaires du Québec (CISMIQ), ( Centre for interuniversity major seismic infrastructure of Quebec), FQRNT. Member. (2002-2005)
Current research projects
- PhD - Damien Gilles: Characterization of medium and high-rise buildings in Montreal using ambient vibration measurements.
- PhD - Ali Ghafari: Earthquake-resistant design procedures for tall telecommunication masts.
- PhD - Gang Qi: Advanced computational modelling of fretting fatigue in stranded conductors.
- PhD visiting from Taiwan - Wen-Chun Huang (co-supervised with Prof. George C. Yao from National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan Department of Architecture): Shake table testing of unbraced moveable office partitions.
- PhD - Hooman Keyhan (co-supervised with Prof. W.G. Habashi of McGill Department of Mechanical Engineering): Fluid-structure interaction modelling of wind loads and ice loads on overhead transmission lines.
- PhD Helene Tischer (co-supervised with Prof. D. Mitchell of McGill Department of Civil Engineering): Evaluation of seismic vulnerability of school buildings in Montreal.
- PhD visiting from China Jiang Wen-Qiang (September 2009 - August 2010): Prevention of cascading failures in overhead transmission lines.
- MEng (thesis) Farshad Mirshafiei (co-supervised with Prof. M. Farzaneh of UQAC Icing Research Pavillon): Improved computational model of ice shedding from overhead conductors.
- MEng (project) Andrew Sivilla: Seismic design of a special mining structure in Indonesia.
- A team of 5 undergraduate summer research assistants performing seismic vulnerability and risk assessments of operational and functional components (OFCs) in Montreal hospitals and schools designated as post-critical shelters. Seismic Risk of OFCs in Montreal [.pdf]
Technical activities in committees and associations
- Chair and Convener of CIGRÉ (Conseil International des Grands Réseaux Électriques/ International Council on Large Electrical Systems) Scientific Committee B2 on Overhead Lines Working Group B2.22 on Mechanical Security of Overhead Lines. June 2008 - present.
- Member of Editorial Board of the International Journal Computers & Structures ELSEVIER 2003 – present.
- Voting Member, General Interest Category. Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Technical Committee CSA-S832 Guideline on seismic risk reduction of operational and functional components of buildings. Participation in several seminars/workshops related to the activities of the Committee (listed as Invited Conference Presentations). 1997 - Present.
- Member of Working Group No. 4 on Masts and Towers. International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures IASS 1997 – Present.
- Voting Member, General Interest Category. Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Technical Committee CAN/CSA-S37 Design of Antennas, Towers and Antenna-Supporting Structures. Reviewer for the French edition of the 1994 version of the Standard. Author of Appendix M Seismic Analysis of Towers. Author of revised Appendix M (2001) Earthquake-resistant design of towers. 1992-Present.
- Member of Working Group B2-06 Principles of Overhead Line Design. CIGRÉ Scientific Committee B2 on Overhead Lines. 2004-2008
- Chair of Task Force B2.06.09 on Overhead Line Design for High Intensity Winds. CIGRÉ Scientific Committee B2 on Overhead Lines. 2004-2008.
- Member, Research Committee of the Canadian Association for Earthquake Engineering. 2004-2007.
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). Task Committee on Dynamic Analysis of Lattice Towers. Author of several sections of Guideline published in 2001. 1996-2000.
- National Chair, Student Affairs Committee, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE). 1995-1999.
- Member, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE) Structural Division. Technical Committee on the Use of Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures. 1991-1994.
For a complete list of scientific publications, see: