Associate Professor, PhD
William Dawson Scholar
BE (Civil Eng, Jadavpur University, India, 1989)
MS (Civil Eng, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1991)
PhD (Civil (Env) Eng, Carnegie Mellon University, 1995)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (University of Michigan, 1995-1997)
subhasis [dot] ghoshal [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor Ghoshal joined McGill in 1997. Professor Ghoshal's expertise is in the area of geoenvironmental engineering. His research includes the remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater, and the fate and transport of organic compounds in the subsurface. Research activities include laboratory studies and mathematical modelling of physiochemical and biological processes in the subsurface.
- Associate Dean – Student Affairs, Faculty of Engineering (2006-curent)
- Experimental evaluation and mathematical modelling of fate and transport processes of organic pollutants in natural environments and in treatment systems.
- Evaluation, assessment and development of soil and groundwater remediation technologies for contaminated sites with petroleum oils, coal tars, pesticides and complex chemical mixtures.
- Pathogen transport and survivability in porous media.
- Green house gas mitigation through carbon dioxide disposal in deep saline aquifers and through mineral sequestration.
Selected current research projects
- Bioremediation of petroleum petroleum hydrocarbons Arctic and sub-Arctic (cold) regions
- Use of iron nanoparticles for in situ remediation of chlorinated solvent sites
- Effects of freeze-thaw on transport and survivability of pathogens in porous media
- Sequestering carbon Dioxide by Accelerated Curing of Concrete
- Characterization of petroleum contamination in soils using Computed Tomography (CT) X-ray scanning
William Dawson Scholar (2005 - current)
1998 Petro-Canada Young Innovator Award
- Raychoudhury, T., Tufenkji, N., Ghoshal, S. (2012). Aggregation and Deposition Kinetics of Carboxymethyl Cellulose-modified Zero-Valent Iron Nanoparticles in Porous Media. Water Research. In press.
- Cirtu, M., Raychoudhury, T., Ghoshal, S., Moores, A. (2011) Systematic comparison of the size and surface characteristics of zero valent iron nanoparticles stabilized with common polymers. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 39: 95– 104.
- Asadishad, B., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2011). Method for the Direct Observation and Quantification of Survival of Bacteria Attached to Negatively or Positively Charged Surfaces in an Aqueous Medium. Environmental Science and Technology. 45: 8345–8351.
- Chang, W., Klemm, S., Beaulieu, C., Hawari, J., Whyte, L., Ghoshal, S. (2011) Hydrocarbon biodegradation under seasonal freeze-thaw and post thaw soil temperature regimes in contaminated soils from a sub-Arctic site. Environmental Science and Technology, 45:1061-1066.
- Chang, W.J., Whyte, L., Ghoshal, S. (2011) Comparison of the effects of variable site temperatures and constant incubation temperatures on the biodegradation of petroleum hydrocarbons in pilot-scale experiments with contaminated soils from a cold regions site. Chemosphere, 82:872-878.
- Raychoudhury, T., Naja, G., Ghoshal, S. (2010) Assessment of Transport of Two Polyelectrolyte-Stabilized Zerovalent Iron Nanoparticles in Porous Media. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 118: 143–151.
- Fatisson, J., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2010) Deposition of Carboxymethylcellulose-Coated Zero-valent Iron Nanoparticles onto Silica: Role of Solution Chemistry and Organic Macromolecules. Langmuir, 26: 12832–12840.
- Fatisson, J., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2010) Deposition of Carboxymethylcellulose-Coated Zero-valent Iron Nanoparticles onto Silica: Role of Solution Chemistry and Organic Macromolecules. Accepted in Langmuir.
- Kashef-Haghighi, S., Ghoshal., S. (2010) CO2 Sequestration In Concrete Through Accelerated Carbonation Curing in A Flow-Through Reactor. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 49: 1143–1149.
- Warne Zoueki, C., Tufenkji, N., Ghoshal, S. (2010) A Modified Microbial Adhesion to Hydrocarbons Assay to Account for the Presence of Hydrocarbon Droplets. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 344:492–496.
- Chang, W.J., Dyen, M., Spagnuolo, L., Simon, P., Whyte, L., Ghoshal, S. (2010) Biodegradation of Semi- and Non-volatile Petroleum Hydrocarbons in Aged, Contaminated Soils from a sub-Arctic Site: Laboratory Pilot-scale Experiments Conducted at Site Temperatures. Chemosphere, 80: 319–326.
- Warne Zoueki, C., Ghoshal, S., Tufenkji, N. (2009) Bacterial Adhesion to Hydrocarbons: Role of Asphaltenes and Resins. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 79: 219–226.
- Bernardez, L., Ghoshal, S. (2008) Solubilization kinetics for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons transferring from a non-aqueous phase liquid to non-ionic surfactant solutions. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 320: 298–306.
- Keane, A., Lau, P.C.K., Ghoshal, S. (2008) Novel Use of the Whole-Cell Bioluminescent Biosensor PpF1G4 to Assess the Bioavailability Enhancement of Hydrophobic Organic Compounds in Nonionic Surfactant Solutions. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 99:86-98.
- Goldstein, L., Prahser, S., Ghoshal, S. (2007) Three-Dimensional Visualization and Quantification of Non-aqueous Phase Liquids in Natural Porous Media using X Ray Computed Tomography. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 93:96-110.