BSc Civil Engineering (Queen's, 1991)
PhD Civil Engineering (Canterbury, NZ, 1996)
susan [dot] gaskin [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor Gaskin joined McGill in 1997, adding to the environmental engineering expertise in the Department. Environmental hydraulics and water resources is her specialty. Her teaching includes open channel flow, hydraulics, river engineering and water sustainability. Her research is in the general area of environmental fluid mechanics and water resources management. Specifically looking at topics in experimental fluid mechanics: modeling of jets and plumes, river engineering, sediment transport in surface waters, and in water resources management: sustainable water supply management and basin wide hydrologic modeling.
Appointments and affiliations
- Brace Associate Professor in Civil Engineering
- Associate Member, McGill School of the Environment
- Member of International Association for Hydraulic Research
- Member of the Global Environmental and Climate Change Centre (GEC3)
CIVE 206 Dynamics 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 428 Water Resrces & Hydraulic Eng. 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 577 River Engineering 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 677 Water-Energy Sustainability 4 Credits
Offered in the:
Doctoral Commonwealth Scholarship held at University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Experimental investigations of environmental hydraulics problems (turbulent jets and mixing) using laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) and particle image velocity (PIV) Experimental environmental hydraulics [.pdf]
- Numerical and physical modeling of hydraulic structures Numerical and physical modeling of hydraulic structures [.pdf]
- Habitat restoration and sediment transport in rivers Habitat restoration and sediment transport in rivers [.pdf]
- Water resources: sustainable water supply management Water resources [.pdf] (with funding from NSERC, FQRNT, CFI and, municipal and industrial collaborators)
Environmental hydraulics laboratory (Director)
The laboratory has a 1.5 m x 6 m x 1 m glass towing tank. Experiments can be run in a quiescent and turbulent ambient or in a simulated flow. The approximate homogeneous turbulent ambient with no mean flow is created using a random jet array (1.5 m x 1 m). A large recirculating shallow flume 1.5 m x 9 m x 0.2 m can be used for shallow flow (river) studies. Two small shallow flumes can be used for sediment and recirculation studies. Experimental data on flow velocities and concentrations can be acquired using particle image velocimetry (PIV), acoustic Doppler velocimetry (ADV) and planar and point laser induced fluorescence (LIF) at high spatial and temporal resolution (100 μm at 1600Hz), 3-D particle tracking velocimetry (3D PTV) at high spatial and temporal resolution. The equipment available includes a 5 W argon ion laser, a number of CCD digital cameras, a Nortec ADV and assorted optics.
Current graduate research
- Angela Huston, (PhD) Sustainable sanitation in a developing country context.
- Maria (Mercedes) Garcia Holguera, (PhD) Biomimetics in architecture (co-supervision with Grant Clark, Bioresources Engineering, McGill University and Aaron Sprecher, Architecture, McGill University
- Jennifer Thompson (PhD) Gender, water and participation using the arts in Cameroon (co-supervision with Claudia Mitchell, Education, McGill University).
- Alejandro Perez (PhD) Effect of background turbulence on scalar mixing in an axi-symmetric turbulent jet (co-supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill).
Nina Nguyen (MEng) Green infrastructure for stormwater management (collaboration with ARUP, Montreal)
Stephen Camozzi (MEng) Biogenic mixing: laboratory studies (co-supervision with L. Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering).
Gilbert Milanovic (MEng) Schmidt number effects on multi-scalar mixing (co-supervision with L. Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering).
Michel Samson (MEng) Fuel-air mixing for aeroderivative gas turbines (Collaboration with Siemens, Montreal)
Claudio Consuegra-Martinez (MEng) Transverse mixing in shallow flows
Aaron Manzali (MEng) Aeration in draft tubes of hydro turbines (collaboration with Andritz Hydro Canada)
Esther Volmar (MEng) An assessment of agricultural stream designs used in maintenance operations in Quebec ( co-supersion with Pascale Biron, Geography, Concordia and J-F Sabourin et associes (JFSA)).
Ph.D. winter 2017: A PhD position in experimental environmental hydraulics will be open in winter 2017. The position will be investigating experimentally (LIF, PTV, PIV) and theoretically the mixing and entrainment into jets. The position requires a good knowledge of fluid mechanics and experience or interest in experimental methods – a Masters in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar is required. The position will be funded thought the MEDA program and I will be reviewing applicants on a competitive basis at the end of August. If interested please apply to the PhD program in Civil Engineering.
Recent graduate theses/research
Kareem Fanous (MEng 2016) Copper levels in municipal drinking water
Angela Huston (MSc 2015) Investigating improved drinking water: The service reality of standtaps, the central utility and community water in Buea, Cameroon.
Hauke Blanken (MEng 2015) Arctic Oil Spills: a risk assessment of transport in sea ice and ocean surface waters from current exploration sites. (co-supervised with Bruno Tremblay, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences , McGill University and Alexander Slavin, Environment Canada).
Leila Pike (MEng 2015) The Dynamics of Glacial Till Erosion: Hydraulic Flume Tests on Samples from Medway Creek, London, ON (co-supervision with Peter Ashmore, Geography, University of Western Ontario)
Yulia Akutina (PhD 2015) Experimental investigation of the flow structures in a shallow embayment using 3D-PTV. (co-supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill)
Hasina Andriamanamihaja (MEng 2014) Erosion and stream sedimentation due to pipeline construction in laterite soils – Madagascar.
Claire Murray (MEng 2014) Eddy diffusivities from a doubly-periodic quasi-geostrophic model of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (co-supervision with Jaime Palter and David Straub, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, McGill University)
FIdelis, Folifac (PhD 2013)Towards Improving Knowledge Management and Collaborative Action in Potable Water Delivery at the Local Level: Case of Buea, Cameroon (co-supervision with George Nkeng, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Travaux Publics, Yaounde, Cameroon)
Frank Suerich-Gulick (PhD 2013) Axial stretching, viscosity, surface tension and turbulence in free surface vortices at low-head hydropower intakes (collaboration with Groupe Conseil Lasalle, VATech, HydroQuebec, Ansys)
Dan Robb (MEng 2013) Smoothed particle hydrodynamics simulations of freely moving solid objects in a free-surface flow with applications to river ice dynamics (collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle and Andritz Hydro Vevey)
Syvana Hochet (MEng 2013) A comparative study on the effect of a eucalyptus and a mixed acacia-eucalyptus plantation on the water balance of a small Ecuadorian Andes catchment
- Simon Dagher (MEng 2012) Inter-basin water transfer and its role in modern society: a non-technical and technical review.
- Zian Sally (MEng 2012) Stakeholder participation and sustainability challenges confronting a small urban community managed water supply project. (collaboration with with Sunny Kometa, Geography, University of Buea)
- Matthieu Baccard (MEng 2012) Estimation of sediment loadings in a small steep tropical catchment impacted by quarrying activities: a case study of the Acono River catchment, Trinidad, West Indies. (co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of the West Indies).
- Babak Khorsandi (PhD 2011) Effect of background turbulence on an axi-symmetric turbulent jet. (co supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill)
- David Carre (PhD 2011) Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement: a field study in the Nicolet River. (co-supervision with Pascale Biron, Geography, Concordia)
- David Morisette (MEng 2009) Parametric study of vortex formation at a hydropower intake.
- Gacek, Julian (MEng 2007) Numerical simulation of flow through a spillway and diversion. (Collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle)
- Jaramillo, Fernando (MEng 2007) Estimating and modelling soil loss and sediment yield in the Maracas-St. Joseph catchment with empirical models (RUSLE,and MUSLE) and a physically based model (EROSION 3D). (Co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of West Indies).
- Jamie Carrera (PhD 2007) Spatio-temporal analysis of aquifer recharge and groundwater potentiometric levels in the Basin of Mexico through the development of a regional database and an open source tool for groundwater flow modelling.
- Kameel Virjee (PhD 2006) Willingness to Pay for Change: The use of contingent valuation and choice experiments in the Trinidad and Tobago water services sector.
- Thomas Lavertu (PhD 2006) Differential diffusion in a turbulent jet. (Co-supervised with L. Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill University).
- Karen Ng (MEng 2006) Two dimensional hydraulic-habitat modelling of a rehabilitated river.
- Devin Hayward (MEng 2006) Sustainable waste management systems and their application in Trinidad and Tobago. (Co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of West Indies).
- Elizabeth Jamieson (MEng 2005) Experimental investigation of recirculating flow in an open channel embayment using three-dimensional particle tracking.
- Walid Khawam (MEng 2004) Water demand management in the Caribbean: a case study in Barbados.
- Tarek Hamade (MEng 2004) An experimental study on a fish louver system. (Collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle)
- Linda Kemp (MEng 2002) Photo-tagged particle tracking: An investigation of recirculating flow in an embayment.
- Abdellatif Al Shafie (MEng 2001) Erosion of post-glacial clay due to waves in the St. Lawrence River. (Collaboration with Serge Lapage, Centre St. Laurent, Environment Canada)
- Furong Xue (MEng 2000) The effect of ambient turbulence on the concentrations of a plane jet in a shallow coflow.
- Anne-Titia Bove (MEng 2000) Photo-activated tracer particles -- a preliminary study.
- Matthew McKernan (MEng 2000) The effect of ambient turbulence on a plane jet in a shallow coflow.
Perez-Alvarado, A., Mydlarski, L.M., Gaskin, S.J. (2016) Effect of the driving algorithm on the turbulence generated by a random jet array, Experiments in Fluids,57(2): 1-15, DOI:10.1007/s00348-015-2103-7.
Garcia-Holguera, M., Clark, G., Sprecher, A., Gaskin, S.J. (2015) Ecosystem biomimetics for resource use optimization in buildings, Building Research and Information, DOI:10.1080/09613218.2015.1052315
- Robb, D., Gaskin, S.J., Marongiu, J-C (2016) SPH-DEM model for free surface flows containing solids applied to river ice jams, Journal of Hydraulic Research, 54(1): 27-40. DOI: 10.1080/00221686.2015.1131203
- Jaramillo, F., Baccard, M., Cooper, V. & Gaskin, S. (2015) Assessing the role of a limestone quarry as a sediment source in a developing tropical catchment, Land Degradation & Development, ,DOI: 10.1002/ldr.2347
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S.J., Villeneuve, M. & Parkinson, E. (2014) Free surface intake vortices: scale effects due to viscosity and surface tension, Journal of Hydraulic Research. 52:4, 513-522, DOI: 10.1080/00221686.2014.905503
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S.J., Villeneuve, M. & Parkinson, E. (2014) Free surface intake vortices: theoretical model and measurements, Journal of Hydraulic Research, 52:4, 502-512, DOI:10.1080/00221686.2014.896425.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S.J., Villeneuve, M. & Parkinson, E. (2014) The characteristics of free surface vortices at low-head hydropower intakes, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE), 140(3): 291-299. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000826
- Sally, Z., Gaskin, S.J., Folifac, F. & Kometa, S.S. (2014) The effect of urbanisation on community-managed water supply: case study of Buea, Cameroon, Community Development Journal. 49 (4): 524-540 doi:10.1093/cdj/bst054
- Garcia Holguera, Maria, Clarke, G., Sprecher, A. & Gaskin, S. (2013) Ecosystem biomimetics: energy system diagrams for characterization of environmental performance of buildings, International Journal of the Constructed Environment, 3(2): 147-165.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L.M. (2013) "Effect of background turbulence on an axisymmetric turbulent jet", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 736: 250–286.DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2013.465.
- Khorsandi, B., Mydlarski, L.B. and Gaskin, S.J. (2012) "Laboratory study of noise in turbulence measurements using acoustic Doppler velocimetry", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE), 138(10): 829-838. http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HY.1943-7900.0000589.
- Folifac, F. and Gaskin, S.J. (2011) "Understanding potable water supply costs, pricing, tariffs and cost recovery in low income and developing countries: a comprehensive synthesis", Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment, 3(13): 400-409.
- Thompson, J.A., Folifac, F. and Gaskin, S.J. (2011) "Fetching water in the unholy hours of the night: the impacts of a water crisis on girls health and sexuality in semi-urban Cameroon", Girlhood Studies: an Interdisciplinary Journal, 4(2): 111-129.
- Folifac, F. and Gaskin, S.J. (2011) "Partnership or profiteering in joint community water supply projects in Cameroon? Lessons from the Cameroon Development Corporation (CDC) – Mautu project", Water Science and Technology: Water Supply.11(4):409-417. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2011.061
- Virjee, K. and Gaskin, S. (2010) "Coping with poor water services and the demand for change in Trinidad and Tobago", Water International, 35(3): 285-297. doi:10.1080/02508060.2010.487299.
- Kemp, L., Jamieson, E. and Gaskin, S.J. (2010) "Phosphorescent tracer particles for Lagrangian flow measurement and particle tracking velocimetry", Experiments in Fluids, 48:927-931. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-009-0818-z
- Folifac, F., Lifongo, L., Nkeng, G. and Gaskin, S.J. (2009) "Municipal drinking water source protection capacity in low income countries: case of Buea Municipality - Cameroon", International Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment, 1(4): 73-84.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J.(2009) "Water management in the Basin of Mexico: current state and alternative scenarios", Hydrogeology Journal, 17:1483-1494. (DOI 10.1007/210040-009-0442-2)
- Lavertu, T., Mydlarski, L. and Gaskin, S.J. (2008) "Differential diffusion of high-Schmidt-number passive scalars in a turbulent jet", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 612 (2008): 439-475.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2008) "The Basin of Mexico Hydrogeological Database (BMHDB): Implementation, queries and interaction with open source software", Environmental Modelling and Software, 23 (10): 1271-1279.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2008) "Spatio-temporal dynamics of potential aquifer recharge: Application to the Basin of Mexico", Journal of Hydrology, 353(3-4): 228-246.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2007) "The Basin of Mexico aquifer system: Regional groundwater table dynamics and database development", Hydrogeology Journal, 15:1577-1590. (DOI 10.1007/s10040-007-0194-9)
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2007) "Spatio temporal analysis of daily climatological variables: Application to the Basin of Mexico", Journal of Hydrology, 336(3-4): 231-249. (DOI 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2006.12.021)
- Carre, D., Biron, P.M. and Gaskin S.J. (2007) "Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement: a field study in the Nicolet River", Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 34:761-769.
- Walid Khawam, K. Virjee and S. Gaskin (2006) "Water demand management in the Caribbean: analysis of water tariffs and metering in Barbados", Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, 31(2):1-24.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J.(2006) "The groundwater modelling tool for GRASS (GMTG): Open source groundwater flow modelling", Computers and Geosciences, 32(3): 339-351.
- Virjee, K. and Gaskin, S.J. (2005) "A fuzzy cost-recovery criterion for sustainable rural water supply systems", Energy, Vol. 30, Issue 8, pp. 1329-1341.
- Biron, M. P., Robson, C., Lapointe, M.F. and Gaskin, S.J. (2004) "Comparing different methods of bed shear stress estimates in simple and complex flow fields", Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 29, 1403-1415.
- Gaskin, S.J., McKernan, M. and Xue, F. (2004) "The effect of background turbulence on jet entrainment: an experimental study of a plane jet in a shallow coflow", Journal of Hydraulic Research, 42 (5), pp. 531-540.
- Biron, P.M., Robson, C., Lapointe, M.F.and Gaskin, S.J. (2004) "Deflector designs for fish habitat restoration", Environmental Management, Vol. 33, 1, 25-35.
- Gaskin, S.J., Pieterse, J., AlShafie, A. and Lepage, S. (2003) "Erosion of undisturbed clay samples from the banks of the St. Lawrence River", Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, pp. 585-595.
- Davidson, M.J., Gaskin, S.J. and Wood, I.R. (2002) "A study of a buoyant axisymmetric jet in a small co-flow", Journal of Hydraulic Research, 40(4), pp. 477-489.
- Gaskin, S.J and Wood I.R. (2001) "The axisymmetric and the plane jet in a coflow", Journal of Hydraulic Research, 39(5), pp. 451-458.
- Gaskin, S.J and Wood, I.R. (2001) "Flow structure and mixing dynamics of the advected line thermal", Journal of Hydraulic Research, 39(5), pp. 459-468.
Conference proceedings and presentations
Akutina, Y., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2016) 3D PTV in a shallow embayment, RiverFlow 2016, St.Louis, Missouri, USA, 12-15 July, 2016.
Perez-Alvarado,A. , Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2016) The effect of a turbulent background on a turbulent jet and its application to outfalls, International Symposium on Outfall Systems 2016, IAHR-IWA Joint Committee on Marine Outfall Systems, May 10-13th, 2016, Ottawa, Ontario.
Garcia-Holguera, M., Clark, G., Sprecher, A. & Gaskin, S. (2015) Approaching biomimetics: Optimization of resource use in buildings using a system dynamics modeling tool, Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD), April 12-15, 2015, Washington, DC, USA
Perez-Alvarado, A. Gaskin, S. & Mydlarski, L. (2015) The effect of a turbulent background on the concentration field of a a high-Schmidt-number passive scalar within a turbulent jet, 22nd Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, April 29-May 2, 2015, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
Blanken, H., Tremblay, B, Gaskin, S., & Slavin, A. (2015) A numerical risk assessment for spills from oil and gas activity around the Arctic Ocean Basin, 36th IAHR World Congress, 28th June- 3rd July, The Hague, Netherlands.
Perez-Alvarado, A., Mydlarski, L.M. & Gaskin, S. (2015) Passive scalar mixing of a turbulent jet emitted into homogeneous, isotropic turbulence, 15th European Turbulence Conference (ETC15), 25-28 August, 2015, Delft, The Netherlands
- Moreira, L., Adamowski, J., Gaskin, S. & Saraiva, A. (2014) The impact of poor governance on water and sediment quality: a case study in the Pitimbu River, Brazil, 6th IAHS-EGU International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (ICWRS2014), Bologna, Italy, 4-6 June, 2014. (IAHS Publ. 364, 2014, p.429-434)
- Akutina, Y., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2014) Entrainment mechanisms in river embayments, Proceedings of the International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics (River Flow 2014), Lausanne, Switzerland, 3-5 Sept. 2014 – Schleiss et al. (Eds), 2014 Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-1-138-02674-2, p. 31-37
- Akutina, Y., Gaskin, S. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2014) Three-dimensional structure of the flow in a shallow embayment, Proceeding of the 7th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH), IAHR, p. 204-207
- Moreira, L.F.F., Gaskin, S. & Adamowski, J.F. (2013) Gestão e governança dos recursos hídricos – os desafios da implementação. In: XX Simpósio Brasilerio de Recursos Hídricos, 2013, Bento Gonçalves. Água – Desenvolvimento Econômico e Sócio-ambiental. v.1. p. 4-12
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S., Villeneuve, M. & Parkinson, E. (2013) Engineering approach to predicting free surface vortices at low-head hydropower intakes, Proceedings of the 35th IAHR World Congress, Sept 8-13, 2013, Chengdu, China. Pp 1-12
- Robb, D., Gaskin, S.J., Marongui, J.C. & Villeneuve, M. (2013) Smoothed particle hydrodynamics applied to river ice dynamics, CSCE 21st Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, May 14-17, Banff, Alberta.pp 1-8
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L.M. (2011) "The dynamics of a turbulent jet in a turbulent background", 7th International Symposium on Stratified Flows, Rome, Italy, August 22-26, 2011.pp.1-8.
- Hochet, S. and Gaskin, S.J. (2011) "Effect of non-native Eucalyptus on the water balance of an Andean catchment", Rehabilitation des hydrosystemes: enjeux scientifiques e novelles perspectives, Colloque dans le cadre des XXIVe Entretiens Jacques Cartier, 3- 4 October, 2011. Montreal, Canada.
- Sally, Z., Gaskin, S., Folifac, F., Kometa, S. and Lifongo, L. (2011) "Community Participation and Sustainability Challenges in an Urban Community Water Supply Scheme—Case Study of the Great Soppo Wokoko Molyko Scheme in Buea, Southwest Region, Cameroon", 64<sup>th</sup> Canadian Water Resources Association National Conference (CWRA) “Our Water – Our Life – The Most Valuable Resource”, June 27 to 30, 2011, St. John’s NL Canada.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L.M. (2010) "Flying-hot-film anemometry measurements of the effect of back-ground turbulence on a turbulent jet", 6<sup>th</sup> International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH), 23-25 June, 2010, Athens, Greece.
- Suerich-Gulick, F.,Gaskin, S., Villeneuve, M. and Parkinson, E. (2009) "Predicting Vortex Stretching at Hydropower Intakes", 33<sup>rd</sup> IAHR Congress: Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, pp. 4006-4013. Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S. and Mydlarski, M (2009) "A laboratory study of noise in turbulence measurements using acoustic Doppler velocimetry", 33<sup>rd</sup> IAHR Congress: Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, pp. 3551-3557, Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Moradi-Larmaei, M., Mahdi, T. and Gaskin, S. (2009) "Vegetation and shallow water hydraulics", 33<sup>rd</sup> IAHR Congress: Water Engineering for a Sustainable Environment, pp. 4417-4424, Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Biron, P., Carre, D. and Gaskin, S.J. (2009) "Hydraulics of stream deflectors used in fish habitat restoration schemes", River Basin Management V, WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, 124: 305-314. Doi:10.2495/RM090281.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L.M. (2008) "The effect of background turbulence on the entrainment into an axisymmetric turbulent jet", 2<sup>nd</sup> International Symposium on Shallow Flows (IAHR), Dec 10-12, 2008, Hong Kong.
- Folifac, F., Gaskin, S.J. and Lifongo, L. (2008) "Water quality risk assessment in rapidly growing municipalities in sub-Saharan Africa: case of Buea-Cameroon", 24<sup>th</sup> Eastern Canadian Association of Water Quality Symposium and 8<sup>th</sup> Annual Symposium of the Brace Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, Friday, November 7, 2008.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L. (2007) "Effect of background turbulence on thevelocity field of a turbulent jet", Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH-V) IAHR, eds.: D.Boyer & O. Alexandrova, Abst. p.144, paper pp.1-6., Tempe, Arizona, 4-7 December, 2007.
- Jaramillo, F., Gaskin, S.J. and Cooper, V. (2007) "Application of the Erosion 3D model to a developing catchment", 11<sup>th</sup> Diffuse Pollution Conference and 1<sup>st</sup> Meeting of Diffuse Pollution and Urban Drainage Specialist Groups, 26 – 31 August 2007, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.pp.1-8.
- Khorsandi, B., Lavertu, T., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L.B. (2007) "A random jet array for laboratory studies of jet dilution within a turbulent environment", 18<sup>th</sup> Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference and Symposium, CSCE, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 22-24 August, 2007. pp.1-10.
- Jamieson, E. and Gaskin, S.J. (2007) "Laboratory study of 3 dimensional characteristics of recirculating flow in a river embayment", 32<sup>nd</sup> Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy.pp.1-9.
- Carrera-Heranadez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2007) "Spatial dynamics of aquifer recharge in the Basin of Mexico", 32<sup>nd</sup> Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy. pp.1-10.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin S., Villeneuve, M. and Parkinson, E. (2007) "Numerical simulation of a free surface vortex formed in the wake of a pier at a hydropower intake", 32<sup>nd</sup> Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy, pp.1-10.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin S., Villeneuve, M., Holder, G. and Parkinson, E. (2007) "Impact of geometry on free surface vortices in a scale model of a hydropower intake", Hydraulic Measurements and Experimental Methods, EWRI & IAHR, Lake Placid, New York, Sept 10-12, 2007.pp 1-5.
- Suerich-Gulik, F., Gaskin, S., Parkinson, E., Villeneuve, M. and Holder, G. (2006) "Experimental and numerical analysis of free surface vortices at a hydropower intake", Proceedings of the 7<sup>th</sup> International Conference on Hydroscience and Engineering, ICHE 2006, Philadelphia, USA, Sept. 10-13, 2006.pp.1-11.
- Carre, D.M., Biron, P.M. and Gaskin, S.J. (2006) "A three dimensional model around paireddeflectors for fish habitat enhancement", Proceedings of the RiverFlow 2006 Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, Ferreira, R.M.L., Alves, E.C.T.L., Leal, J.G.A.B. and Cardosa, A.H. (Eds.), Taylor and Francis, 1889-1895.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S. Parkinson, E. and Villeneuve, M. (2005) "Free surface simulation of hydraulic turbine intakes", 23<sup>rd</sup> CADFEM Users’ Meeting 2005 International Congress on FEM Technology with ANSYS CFX & ICEM CFD Conference, Bonn, Germany, 9-11 Nov. 2005. pp. 1- 8.
- Lavertu, T., Wahab, A.,Mydlarski, L. and Gaskin, S. (2005) "The effect of background turbulence on differential diffusion in a turbulent jet", Presented at The Fifty-Eighth Annual Meeting of the Division of Fluid Dynamics of the American Physical Society, Chicago, IL, 20-22 November, 2005. - Abstract published in the Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 50(9): 121.
- Carre, D., Biron, P.M. and Gaskin S.J. (2005) "Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement", 17<sup>th</sup> Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, August 17-19, 2005.pp.345-353. Prize for best student paper/presentation at conference.
- Lavertu, T., Pohl, W., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L. (2004) "Punctual and planar measurements of differential diffusion in a turbulent jet, Advances in turbulence X", Proceedings of the 10<sup>th</sup> European Turbulence Conference, H.I. Andersson and P.A. Krogstad (Eds.), 235D, pp.1-4. CIMNE, Barcelona 2004. (In Tronheim July 2004.)
- Virjee, K. and Gaskin S.J. (2003) "Water supply and sanitation provision under privatisation: A case study of Trinidad", Proceedings of XI World Water Congress, International Water Resource Association(IWRA), pp. 1-10 Madrid, 5 - 9 October 2003.
- Gaskin, S.J., Aubel, T. and Holder, G. (2003) "Air demand for a ramp-offset aerator as a function of spillway slope, ramp angle and froude number", Proceedings of XXXIAHIR Congress, Thessaloniki, Greece, August 24 - 29, 2003, Theme D, pp. 719-726.