BSc Civil Engineering (Queen's, 1991)
PhD Civil Engineering (Canterbury, NZ, 1996)
susan [dot] gaskin [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor Gaskin joined McGill in 1997, adding to the environmental engineering expertise in the Department. Environmental hydraulics and water resources is her specialty. Her teaching includes open channel flow, hydraulics, river engineering and water sustainability. Her research is in the general area of environmental fluid mechanics and water resources management. Specifically looking at topics in experimental fluid mechanics: modeling of jets and plumes, river engineering, sediment transport in surface waters, and in water resources management: sustainable water supply management and basin wide hydrologic modeling.
Appointments and affiliations
- Brace Associate Professor in Civil Engineering
- Associate Member, McGill School of the Environment
- Member of International Association for Hydraulic Research
- Member of the Global Environmental and Climate Change Centre (GEC3)
CIVE 206 Dynamics 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 428 Water Resrces & Hydraulic Eng. 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 577 River Engineering 3 Credits
Offered in the:
CIVE 677 Water-Energy Sustainability 4 Credits
Offered in the:
Doctoral Commonwealth Scholarship held at University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Experimental investigations of environmental hydraulics problems (turbulent jets and mixing) using laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) and particle image velocity (PIV) Experimental environmental hydraulics [.pdf]
- Numerical and physical modeling of hydraulic structures Numerical and physical modeling of hydraulic structures [.pdf]
- Habitat restoration and sediment transport in rivers Habitat restoration and sediment transport in rivers [.pdf]
- Water resources: sustainable water supply management Water resources [.pdf] (with funding from NSERC, FQRNT, CFI and, municipal and industrial collaborators)
Environmental hydraulics laboratory (Director)
The laboratory has a 1.5 m x 6 m x 1 m glass towing tank. Experiments can be run in a quiescent and turbulent ambient or in a simulated flow. The approximate homogeneous turbulent ambient with no mean flow is created using a random jet array (1.5 m x 1 m). Two small shallow flumes can be used for sediment and recirculation studies. Experimental data on flow velocities and concentrations can be acquired using particle image velocimetry (PIV), acoustic Doppler velocimetry (ADV) and planar and point laser induced fluorescence (LIF) at high spatial and temporal resolution (100 μm at 1600Hz). The equipment available includes a 5 W argon ion laser, a number of CCD digital cameras, a Nortec ADV and assorted optics.
Current graduate research
- Maria (Mercedes) Garcia Holguera, (Ph.D) Biomimetics in architecture (co-supervision with Grant Clark, Bioresources Engineering, McGill University and Aaron Sprecher, Architecture, McGill University
- Jennifer Thompson (Ph.D. ) Gender, water and participation using the arts in Cameroon (co-supervision with Claudia Mitchell, Education, McGill University).
- Alejandro Perez (Ph.D. ) Effect of background turbulence on scalar mixing in an axi-symmetric turbulent jet (co-supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill).
- Yulia Akutina (Ph.D.) Mechanisms for suppressed mixing in shallow flow confluences (co-supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill)
- Frank Suerich-Gulick (Ph.D): Complex open channel flows at hydro power intakes. (Collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle, VATech, IREQ, Ansys)
- Folifac, Fidelis (Ph.D): Towards improving participatory stakeholder local water management, governance, and decision-making in Sub Saharan Africa: Case of Buea, Cameroon. (Co-supervision with Madhav Badami, Urban Planning, McGill & George Nkeng, Ecole Nationale Superieure des Travaux Publics, Yaounde, Cameroon).
- Hauke Blanken (M.Eng.) Transverse mixing in rivers.
- Hasina Andriamanamihaja (M.Eng.) Fine sediment erosion and transport in a disturbed steep laterite catchment.
- Clarie Murray (M.Eng.) Tracer transport across the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) using a quasi-geostrophic model (co-supervision with Jaime Palter and David Straub, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, McGill University).
- Dan Robb (M.Eng.) Smooth Particles Hydrodynamics applied to river ice flows (collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle – Marc Villeneuve and Andritz Hydro Vevey – Etienne Parkinson)
- Hochet, Sylvana (M.Eng.): Effect of Eucalyptus plantations on the hydrology of high Andean catchments.
Recent graduate theses/research
- Simon Dagher (M.Eng.2012) Inter-basin water transfer and its role in modern society: a non-technical and technical review.
- Zian Sally (M.Eng. 2012) Stakeholder participation and sustainability challenges confronting a small urban community managed water supply project. (collaboration with with Sunny Kometa, Geography, University of Buea)
- Matthieu Baccard (M.Eng. 2012) Estimation of sediment loadings in a small steep tropical catchment impacted by quarrying activities: a case study of the Acono River catchment, Trinidad, West Indies. (co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of the West Indies).
- Babak Khorsandi (Ph.D. 2011): Effect of background turbulence on an axi-symmetric turbulent jet. (co supervision with Laurent Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill)
- David Carre (Ph.D. 2011) Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement: a field study in the Nicolet River. (co-supervision with Pascale Biron, Geography, Concordia)
- David Morisette (M.Eng. 2009): Parametric study of vortex formation at a hydropower intake.
- Gacek, Julian (M.Eng. 2007): Numerical simulation of flow through a spillway and diversion. (Collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle)
- Jaramillo, Fernando (M.Eng. 2007): Estimating and modelling soil loss and sediment yield in the Maracas-St. Joseph catchment with empirical models (RUSLE,and MUSLE) and a physically based model (EROSION 3D). (Co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of West Indies).
- Jamie Carrera (Ph.D. 2007): Spatio-temporal analysis of aquifer recharge and groundwater potentiometric levels in the Basin of Mexico through the development of a regional database and an open source tool for groundwater flow modelling.
- Kameel Virjee (Ph.D. 2006): Willingness to Pay for Change: The use of contingent valuation and choice experiments in the Trinidad and Tobago water services sector.
- Thomas Lavertu (Ph.D. 2006): Differential diffusion in a turbulent jet. (Co-supervised with L. Mydlarski, Mechanical Engineering, McGill University).
- Karen Ng (M.Eng. 2006): Two dimensional hydraulic-habitat modelling of a rehabilitated river.
- Devin Hayward (M.Eng. 2006): Sustainable waste management systems and their application in Trinidad and Tobago. (Co-supervision with Vincent Cooper, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of West Indies).
- Elizabeth Jamieson (M.Eng. 2005): Experimental investigation of recirculating flow in an open channel embayment using three-dimensional particle tracking.
- Walid Khawam (M.Eng. 2004): Water demand management in the Caribbean: a case study in Barbados.
- Tarek Hamade (M.Eng. 2004): An experimental study on a fish louver system. (Collaboration with Groupe Conseil LaSalle)
- Linda Kemp (M.Eng. 2002): Photo-tagged particle tracking: An investigation of recirculating flow in an embayment.
- Abdellatif Al Shafie (M.Eng. 2001): Erosion of post-glacial clay due to waves in the St. Lawrence River. (Collaboration with Serge Lapage, Centre St. Laurent, Environment Canada)
- Furong Xue (M.Eng. 2000): The effect of ambient turbulence on the concentrations of a plane jet in a shallow coflow.
- Anne-Titia Bove (M.Eng. 2000): Photo-activated tracer particles -- a preliminary study.
- Matthew McKernan (M.Eng. 2000): The effect of ambient turbulence on a plane jet in a shallow coflow.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (submitted) Effect of background turbulence on an axisymmetric turbulent jet, Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- Khorsandi, B., Mydlarski, L.B. & Gaskin, S.J. (in press, Oct 2012) Laboratory study of noise in turbulence measurements using acoustic Doppler velocimetry, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (ASCE).
- Folifac, F. & Gaskin, S.J. (2011) Understanding potable water supply costs, pricing, tariffs and cost recovery in low income and developing countries: a comprehensive synthesis, Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment, 3(13): 400-409.
- Thompson, J.A., Folifac, F. & Gaskin, S.J. (2011) Fetching water in the unholy hours of the night: the impacts of a water crisis on girls health and sexuality in semi-urban Cameroon, Girlhood Studies: an Interdisciplinary Journal, 4(2): 111-129.
- Folifac, F. & Gaskin, S.J. (2011) Partnership or profiteering in joint community water supply projects in Cameroon? Lessons from the Cameroon Development Corporation (CDC) – Mautu project, Water Science and Technology: Water Supply.11(4):409-417. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2011.061
- Virjee, K. & Gaskin, S. (2010) Coping with poor water services and the demand for change in Trinidad and Tobago, Water International, 35(3): 285-297. doi:10.1080/02508060.2010.487299.
- Kemp, L., Jamieson, E. & Gaskin, S.J. (2010) Phosphorescent tracer particles for Lagrangian flow measurement and particle tracking velocimetry, Experiments in Fluids, 48:927-931. DOI: 10.1007/s00348-009-0818-z
- Folifac, F., Lifongo, L., Nkeng, G. & Gaskin, S.J. (2009) Municipal drinking water source protection capacity in low income countries: case of Buea Municipality - Cameroon, International Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment, 1(4): 73-84.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J & Gaskin, S.J.(2009) Water management in the Basin of Mexico: current state and alternative scenarios. Hydrogeology Journal, 17:1483-1494. (DOI 10.1007/210040-009-0442-2)
- Lavertu, T., Mydlarski, L. & Gaskin, S.J. (2008) Differential diffusion of high-Schmidt-number passive scalars in a turbulent jet, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Volume 612 (2008): 439-475.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J & Gaskin, S.J. (2008) The Basin of Mexico Hydrogeological Database (BMHDB): Implementation, queries and interaction with open source software, Environmental Modelling and Software, 23 (10): 1271-1279.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J & Gaskin, S.J. (2008) Spatio-temporal dynamics of potential aquifer recharge: Application to the Basin of Mexico, Journal of Hydrology, 353(3-4): 228-246.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J & Gaskin, S.J. (2007) The Basin of Mexico aquifer system: Regional groundwater table dynamics and database development, Hydrogeology Journal, 15:1577-1590. (DOI 10.1007/s10040-007-0194-9)
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J. (2007) Spatio temporal analysis of daily climatological variables: Application to the Basin of Mexico. Journal of Hydrology, 336(3-4): 231-249. (DOI 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2006.12.021)
- Carre, D., Biron, P.M. and Gaskin S.J. (2007) Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement: a field study in the Nicolet River, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 34:761-769.
- Walid Khawam, K. Virjee and S. Gaskin (2006) Water demand management in the Caribbean: analysis of water tariffs and metering in Barbados, Journal of Eastern Caribbean Studies, 31(2):1-24.
- Carrera-Hernandez, J.J. and Gaskin, S.J.(2006) The groundwater modelling tool for GRASS (GMTG): Open source groundwater flow modelling, Computers and Geosciences, 32(3): 339-351.
- Virjee, K. and Gaskin, S.J. (2005) "A fuzzy cost-recovery criterion for sustainable rural water supply systems." Energy, Vol. 30, Issue 8, pp. 1329-1341.
- Biron, M. P., Robson, C., Lapointe, M.F. and; Gaskin, S.J. (2004) "Comparing different methods of bed shear stress estimates in simple and complex flow fields." Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 29, 1403-1415.
- Gaskin, S.J., McKernan, M. and Xue, F. (2004) "The effect of background turbulence on jet entrainment: an experimental study of a plane jet in a shallow coflow." Journal of Hydraulic Research, 42 (5), pp. 531-540.
- Biron, P.M., Robson, C., Lapointe, M.F.and Gaskin, S.J.(2004) "Deflector designs for fish habitat restoration." Environmental Management, Vol. 33, 1, 25-35.
- Gaskin, S.J., Pieterse, J., AlShafie, A. and Lepage, S. (2003) "Erosion of undisturbed clay samples from the banks of the St. Lawrence River." Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, pp. 585-595.
- Davidson, M.J., Gaskin, S.J. and Wood, I.R. (2002) "A study of a buoyant axisymmetric jet in a small co-flow." Journal of Hydraulic Research, 40(4), pp. 477-489.
- Gaskin, S.J and Wood I.R. (2001) "The axisymmetric and the plane jet in a coflow." Journal of Hydraulic Research, 39(5), pp. 451-458.
- Gaskin, S.J and Wood, I.R. (2001) "Flow structure and mixing dynamics of the advected line thermal." Journal of Hydraulic Research, 39(5), pp. 459-468.
Conference proceedings and presentations
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2011) The dynamics of a turbulent jet in a turbulent background, 7th International Symposium on Stratified Flows, Rome, Italy, August 22-26, 2011.pp.1-8.
- Hochet, S. & Gaskin, S.J. (2011) Effect of non-native Eucalyptus on the water balance of an Andean catchment, Rehabilitation des hydrosystemes: enjeux scientifiques e novelles perspectives, Colloque dans le cadre des XXIVe Entretiens Jacques Cartier, 3- 4 October, 2011. Montreal, Canada.
- Sally, Z., Gaskin, S., Folifac, F., Kometa, S., Lifongo, L. (2011) Community Participation and Sustainability Challenges in an Urban Community Water Supply Scheme—Case Study of the Great Soppo Wokoko Molyko Scheme in Buea, Southwest Region, Cameroon, 64th Canadian Water Resources Association National Conference (CWRA) “Our Water – Our Life – The Most Valuable Resource”, June 27 to 30, 2011, St. John’s NL Canada.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2010) Flying-hot-film anemometry measurements of the effect of back-ground turbulence on a turbulent jet, 6th International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH), 23-25 June, 2010, Athens, Greece.
- Suerich-Gulick, F.,Gaskin, S., Villeneuve, M. & Parkinson, E. (2009) Predicting Vortex Stretching at Hydropower Intakes, 33rd IAHR Congress: Water engineering for a sustainable environment, pp. 4006-4013. Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S. & Mydlarski, M (2009) A laboratory study of noise in turbulence measurements using acoustic Doppler velocimetry, 33rd IAHR Congress: Water engineering for a sustainable environment, pp. 3551-3557, Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Moradi-Larmaei, M., Mahdi, T. & Gaskin, S. (2009) Vegetation and shallow water hydraulics, 33rd IAHR Congress: Water engineering for a sustainable environment, pp. 4417-4424, Aug 9-14, 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
- Biron, P., Carre, D. & Gaskin, S.J. (2009) Hydraulics of stream deflectors used in fish habitat restoration schemes, River Basin Management V, WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment, 124: 305-314. Doi:10.2495/RM090281.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.M. (2008) The effect of background turbulence on the entrainment into an axisymmetric turbulent jet, 2nd International Symposium on Shallow Flows (IAHR), Dec 10-12, 2008, Hong Kong.
- Folifac, F., Gaskin, S.J. & Lifongo, L. (2008) Water quality risk assessment in rapidly growing municipalities in sub-Saharan Africa: case of Buea-Cameroon, 24th Eastern Canadian Association of Water Quality Symposium and 8th Annual Symposium of the Brace Centre, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, Friday, November 7, 2008.
- Khorsandi, B., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L. (2007) Effect of background turbulence on thevelocity field of a turbulent jet, Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium on Environmental Hydraulics (ISEH-V) IAHR, eds.: D.Boyer & O. Alexandrova, Abst. p.144, paper pp.1-6., Tempe, Arizona, 4-7 December, 2007.
- Jaramillo, F., Gaskin, S.J. and Cooper, V. (2007) Application of the Erosion 3D model to a developing catchment, 11th Diffuse Pollution Conference and 1st Meeting of Diffuse Pollution and Urban Drainage Specialist Groups, 26 – 31 August 2007, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.pp.1-8.
- Khorsandi, B., Lavertu, T., Gaskin, S.J. & Mydlarski, L.B. (2007) A random jet array for laboratory studies of jet dilution within a turbulent environment, 18th Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference and Symposium, CSCE, Winnipeg, Manitoba, 22-24 August, 2007. pp.1-10.
- Jamieson, E. & Gaskin, S.J. (2007) Laboratory study of 3 dimensional characteristics of recirculating flow in a river embayment, 32nd Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy.pp.1-9.
- Carrera-Heranadez, J.J. & Gaskin, S.J. (2007) Spatial dynamics of aquifer recharge in the Basin of Mexico, 32nd Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy. pp.1-10.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin S., Villeneuve, M., & Parkinson, E.(2007,) Numerical simulation of a free surface vortex formed in the wake of a pier at a hydropower intake, 32nd Congress of IAHR, July 1-6 2007, Venice, Italy, pp.1-10.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin S., Villeneuve, M., Holder, G. & Parkinson, E. (2007 extended abstract, poster) Impact of geometry on free surface vortices in a scale model of a hydropower intake, Hydraulic Measurements and Experimental Methods, EWRI & IAHR, Lake Placid, New York, Sept 10-12, 2007.pp 1-5.
- Suerich-Gulik, F., Gaskin, S., Parkinson, E., Villeneuve, M., Holder, G. (2006) Experimental and numerical analysis of free surface vortices at a hydropower intake, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Hydroscience and Engineering, ICHE 2006, Philadelphia, USA, Sept. 10-13, 2006.pp.1-11.
- Carre, D.M., Biron, P.M. & Gaskin, S.J. (2006) A three dimensional model around paireddeflectors for fish habitat enhancement, Proceedings of the RiverFlow 2006Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, Ferreira, R.M.L., Alves, E.C.T.L., Leal, J.G.A.B. and Cardosa, A.H. (Eds.), Taylor and Francis, 1889-1895.
- Suerich-Gulick, F., Gaskin, S. Parkinson, E. & Villeneuve, M. (2005) Free surface simulation of hydraulic turbine intakes, 23rd CADFEM Users’ Meeting 2005,International Congress on FEM Technology with ANSYS CFX & ICEM CFD Conference, Bonn, Germany, 9-11 Nov., 2005. pp. 1- 8.
- Lavertu, T., Wahab, A.,Mydlarski, L. and Gaskin, S.,(2005). The effect of background turbulence on differential diffusion in a turbulent jet. - Presented at The Fifty-Eighth Annual Meeting of the Division of Fluid Dynamics of the American Physical Society, Chicago, IL, 20-22 November, 2005. - Abstract published in the Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 50(9): 121.
- Carre, D., Biron, P.M. & Gaskin S.J. (2005) Flow dynamics and sediment transport around paired deflectors for fish habitat enhancement, 17th Canadian Hydrotechnical Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, August 17-19, 2005.pp.345-353. Prize for best student paper/presentation at conference.
- Lavertu, T., Pohl, W., Gaskin, S.J. and Mydlarski, L. (2004) "Punctual and planar measurements of differential diffusion in a turbulent jet, Advances in turbulence X." Proceedings of the 10th European Turbulence Conference, H.I. Andersson and P.A. Krogstad (Eds.), 235D, pp.1-4. CIMNE, Barcelona 2004. (In Tronheim July 2004.)
- Virjee, K. and Gaskin S.J. (2003) "Water supply and sanitation provision under privatisation: A case study of Trinidad." Proceedings of XI World Water Congress, International Water Resource Association(IWRA), pp. 1-10 Madrid, 5 - 9 October 2003.
- Gaskin, S.J., Aubel, T. and Holder, G. (2003) "Air demand for a ramp-offset aerator as a function of spillway slope, ramp angle and froude number." Proceedings of XXXIAHIR Congress, Thessaloniki, Greece, August 24 - 29, 2003, Theme D, pp. 719-726.