BEng, MEng (Montreal)
luc [dot] chouinard [at] mcgill [dot] ca (E-mail)
Professor Chouinard is a specialist in the field of structural engineering. His research and teaching interests are diverse, including spatial modelling of environmental data (earthquakes, hurricanes, icebergs), estimation of natural and man-made hazards, reliability analysis of engineering systems, and the inspection, evaluation and modelling of aging infrastructures and optimal allocation of repair and maintenance funds. He joined the Department of Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics at McGill in June 1992.
- Eastern Regional Technical Committee of CANSEE
- Member of Engineering Mechanics Committee of CSCE
- Member of Rehabilition of Infrastructures
- Co-Chair of the Subcommittee on Prevention and Life Expectance
- Estimation of ice scouring hazards for offshore oil production facilities
- Condition indexing system for the rehabilitation, evaluation, maintenance and repair of embankment dams
- Ice forecasting model for navigation in Canadian waters
- Estimation of hurricane hazards in the Gulf of Mexico
- Risk analysis of telecommunication networks with respect to atmospheric icing hazards
- Real-time reliability analysis of the Idukki Dam (India) from monitoring data
- Research engineer at Chevron Oil Field Research Company
- Consulting activities include: seismic hazard analysis, hurricane hazard analysis, design criteria for offshore platforms, sampling strategies, inspection and monitoring of structures, optimal maintenance strategies
- Chouinard, L. E., Adersen, G.R. and Torrey III, V.H. (1996) "Ranking Models for the Condition Assessment of Civil Infrastructure Systems", Journal of Infrastructure Systems of the American Society of Civil Engineering 2:1, March, 23-29.
- Chouinard, L. E., Liu C. and Cooper, C. K. (1996) "A Model for the Severity of Hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico", Journal of Waterways, Harbour and Coastal Engineering of the American Society of Civil Engineering, June.
- Chouinard, L. E. (1995) "Modelling of Ice Scouring Hazards for the Beaufort Sea", Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineering, 9:4, December, 167-182.