ICS reissues recommendation against installing SP2 to its Windows XP users
Known SP2 issues
Please note new behaviour in IE.
Within Internet Explorer (with default settings on), an information bar will appear when a website tries to:
- Install an ActiveX control on your computer
- Open a pop-up window
- Download a file to your computer
Note that OWA uses ActiveX
- Run an ActiveX control on your computer in an unsafe manner
The user must click on the information bar and then click Allow blocked content to proceed.
List of problems compiled in collaboration with faculty and department LAN administrators:
VPN disconnects, hot fix now available on Microsoft web page.
Default settings of Windows Firewall may block required connections for certain tools, e.g., pcAnywhere and RemoteDesktop. Users will have to configure the Windows Firewall to create an exception.
Product updates are required for Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. Users need to install V9.0.1 or higher.
Banner data extract function no longer works. Solution not yet found.
Crystal Reports V8.5 Standard Edition (Full install)
Creating New or Blank Report did not prompt with Data Explorer to select a data source and failed to proceed. Solution not yet found.
- Various problems with Firewire peripheral devices. Some Firewire 2 (a.k.a. Firewire 800) devices do not work after SP2 is installed. The device is not recognized by Windows in some cases, in other cases only speeds of Firewire 1 (400) are achieved. In some instances, manufacturers have released fixes for their products; however, their patch needs to be applied before installing Windows XP SP2.
- Firewire port connected to external LaCie drive stopped working. Please refer to manufacturer site before installing SP2. Quick fix: switch to USB.
Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard stopped working. Updating the driver fixes the problem.
Search the Microsoft knowledge base for known SP2 problems.