In our ongoing efforts to provide the McGill community with the
most up to date, secure and reliable email service possible, McGill
IT Services will be implementing several changes to the email
infrastructure over the coming weeks and months.
- We will be migrating all McGill email accounts to Exchange
server 2010. For more details, see the articles Exchange 2010 - Coming soon
and New features of Outlook Web App on Exchange
- We have already introduced a new secure SMTP server for email
clients using IMAP and POP protocols.
- We have updated all email configuration articles in the IT
Knowledge Base with the optimal settings for the coming
You will receive an email notification from IT Services before
your account is moved to the new Exchange 2010 server, with an
approximate date and any pertinent details about the move,
including any updates you need to make in preparation.
Why wait? Here’s what you can do now for a smooth
If you are using an email client, such as MS Outlook or
Entourage, or a device such as an iPod Touch, we strongly recommend
- Go to the Index of configuration articles for
recommended email clients and devices.
- If you are not already using one of the recommended clients and
versions, please install one and use the instructions provided to
configure it to access your McGill Email.
- If you use IMAP or POP protocols for McGill Email, change your
outgoing server to use the new SMTP server. For instructions,
see the appropriate configuration article from the Index article
If you only access your McGill Email via the myMcGill portal or
via Outlook Web Access (https://exchange.mcgill.ca) you
don’t need to do anything. You will soon enjoy all the
features of OWA on Mac as well as Windows, and across Safari,
Firefox and Internet Explorer.