Banner/Minerva Upgrade: several systems affected, Nov. 18 - 22
Status Update: The Banner/Minerva upgrade is now completed and related systems are now open. See post-upgrade announcement.
Banner, the enterprise system used at McGill to store all student, applicant, employee and finance data, will undergo a major upgrade from version 7 to version 8. Consequently, Banner, Minerva, the myMcGill portal and other systems will be unavailable from 5:00 pm Thursday, November 18 to 6:00 pm Monday, November 22.
See below for a list of other systems that will also be affected during this period.
- This upgrade enables new functionality and sets the foundation for future upgrades.
- Users will notice a significant performance improvement through faster servers.
- Replacing end-of-life servers will result in greater reliability over time.
- Security is enhanced through restricted access to the database and encryption of PINs.
- The Minerva interface is given a fresh new look that reflects the direction of the new McGill web sites; includes new search and site map features.
Systems that will be unavailable during the upgrade:
- myMcGill portal (but email and myCourses will be available via alternative links)
- Mercury Course Evaluations
- McGill MarketPlace
- McGill Pensions
- The McGill Password Reset function
Other systems that will be available, with limitations:
- Data Warehouse will be unavailable during the following times:
from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Thursday, Nov 18, and
from 7:00 pm on Sunday, Nov 21 to 10:00 am on Monday, Nov 22.
- McGill Software Licensing (www.mcgill.ca/software): No purchases requiring FOAPALs will be accepted. Free downloads and purchases using POs will continue to be accepted.
- Lenel security system will be available, but no new McGill ID cards can be issued.
- McGill|Attention! (automated notification service) - will be available, but opting in or out of the service will not be possible.
- One45 (for Faculty of Medicine) will be available, but the weekly update from Banner will be cancelled on Friday, November 19.
- Athletics Online registration system will be available, but the Athletics Questionnaire will not be.
- Content Management System (CMS) will be available, but eStudent Records users (scanning and digitally storing student documents) should NOT edit “indexing” information of student files in Webtop during the upgrade (viewing is not a problem.)
- POPS payments cannot be transmitted during the Banner downtime; however payments can be created anytime on the POPS desktop client and then transmitted when Banner is available again.