Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them. Resources available to you are:
*Database: Research Opportunities Database
*This is not a job bank, but rather a list of professors who tend to hire science students on a volunteer, part-time or summer basis (paid or unpaid).
If you are a professor and would like to be included in this database, please contact linda [dot] cicuta [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Linda Cicuta).
- Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)
Opportunities for full-time students to obtain hands-on work experience related to their field of study. Campaign runs in October.
- Research Affiliate Program (RAP)
Opportunities for full-time students to conduct innovative research and gain experience with federal organizations.
- Post-Secondary Co-Operative Education and Internship Program
Opportunities to get hands-on experience in their fields with federal organizations.
- Industrial Undergraduate Student Research Awards (NSERC - IUSRA)
16-week industrial research internship for undergraduate students. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Post-Secondary Recruitment (PSR)
Hiring program for university graduates into a range 0f entry-level officer jobs within the federal government. Campaign runs in Sep-Oct.
- NRC Post-Secondary Programs
Students get an opportunity to work on leading edge research projects and in turn contribute their energy and fresh ideas. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Applied Student Research (ASR)
Research/applied learning opportunities and courses relating to sustainability.
- IRIC Next General Awards - Summer Internships (IRIC)
12 or 16-week summer internships in the field of cancer research at the IRIC of the Université de Montréal. Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- GMT McGill - Global Medical Training
A student-run McGill branch that provides medical and dental care in developing countries, while teaching undergraduate students basic clinical and pharmaceutical skills.
- Mitacs - Reserach Internship Programs
Research internship programs for undergraduates and graduates. Contact rreich [at] mitacs [dot] ca (Rebecca Reich) for more information.
- RISE Programs - Internships in Germany (DAAD)
Research internships in Science and Engineering programs in Germany .
- Science Links (Science.gc.ca)
Links to the job sites from Canadian governmental departments.
Resources for Undergraduate Students in ScienceIf you are a Science student, consider the following programs from the Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Science - Field Studies Programs
Field studies programs for students in Science programs.
- Faculty of Science - Internship Option
Internship opportunities for students in Science programs.
- Office for Undergraduate Research
Research opportunities across the Faculty for academic credit and as part of the NSERC undergraduate research program.
Health Network / Research Centres
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider volunteering or visiting the following health departments/clinics or research centers for opportunities.
- McGill Research and International Relations
McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution).
Hospitals and Health Network
- MUHC Research Profiles/Contacts: A list of researchers and their research interests.
- MUHC Departments and Clinics: MUHC departments and clinics directory.
- Quebec - Quebec Health Portal: A database to find health organizations in Quebec.
- Quebec - Santé et services sociaux Québec: Links to public health directories in Quebec (In French).
- Canada - Canadian Health Coalition: Organizations and research centres working on health care issues.
- Canada - Private Clinics: A list of private clinics by category and by major cities.
- USA - Research Center Profiles: A directory of research centers.
Life Sciences / Sciences
- Contact Canada: Company listings in sectors such as medical technology, drug development and more.
- Drug Development: Online global resource directory - contract services, drug delivery, etc.
- Contract Research Map: A list of labs, searchable by location.
- Canadian Science Research Centers: Major Canadian research centres.
- Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Research centres in health sciences, environment, etc.
- Research in Education: Education related research centres worldwide.
- Research Facilities Navigator: Research facilities in engineering, environment, health, humanities, etc.
- Research Centres: Research centres across Canada.
Job WebsitesJob websites that offer research opportunities.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- SUS - SOAR (Summer Opportunities and Research): Research opportunities for out-of-province students.
- McGill Digital Humanities: A matching program that brings researchers and students together.
- CHU de Québec Research Centre: Research jobs for graduate students.
- Experimental Medicine Job Listing: Full and part-time research positions.
- MUHC: Positions advertised on the Research Institute of the MUHC website.
- Meet R&D: Internships and jobs for graduate students.
- Pharmajob.ca: Jobs in clinical research, bio-analysis, and pharma-related areas.
- GoResearch: Research assisant/associate/analyst jobs across Canada.
- Canadian Research: Academic research positions in Canada.
- Science Careers: Science jobs, searchable by field of study and location.
- Science Jobs: Science jobs advertised on Craigslist sites.
- More Job Websites
Science AlternativesLooking for alternative careers? Learn other career options from this website:
- What are the alternatives to R&D? (University of Oxford)
- Seeking the Alternative (Science Careers Blog)
- E-Books & Books (Available in the McGill Library)
Alternative Career - Patent Agent
- Careers in Intellectual Property: Careers in patent agent and trademark agent.
- IP Courses: McGill Continuing Studies offers courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office: How to become a registered property office; sample exams.
- Careers in Patent Law (Science Careers) | Career in patent law (LSCDS)
The following organizations recruit for science editing/writing.