Jobs in Research
Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many science students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them. Resources available to you are:
Database: Research Opportunities Database
A list of professors who tend to hire students on a volunteer, part-time or summer basis (paid or unpaid).
If you are a professor and would like to be included in this database, please send an email to linda [dot] cicuta [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Linda Cicuta).
- NRC Postsecondary Programs
Employment programs with National Research Council Canada. Students get an opportunity to work on leading edge research projects and in turn contribute their energy and fresh ideas.
Job WebsitesJob websites that offer research opportunities.
- McGill Digital Humanities: A Research Assistant-Faculty Matching Program that brings researchers and students together.
- SOAR (Summer Opportunities and Research): Research opportunities for out-of-province students.
- EMJL: Positions advertised on the Experimental Medicine website.
- MUHC: Positions advertised on the Research Institute of the MUHC website.
- Pharmajob.ca: Jobs in clinical research, bioanalysis, etc.
- GoResearch: Connecting students to researchers.
- Canadian Research: Academic research positions in Canada.
- Science Careers: Science jobs, searchable by field of study and location.
- More Job Websites
Resources for Students in ScienceIf you are a Science student, consider the following programs from the Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Science - Field Studies Programs
Field studies programs for students in Science programs.
- Faculty of Science - Internship Option
Internship opportunities for students in Science programs.
- Office for Undergraduate Research
Research opportunities across the Faculty for academic credit and as part of the NSERC undergraduate research program.
Health Network / Research Centres
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider to volunteer or visit the career page of the following health departments / clinics or research centers.
McGill Affiliated Hospitals, Research Centres and Network
- McGill Research and International Relations
A listing of McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution)
Hospitals and Health Network
- MUHC Volunteer Services: Read the FAQ page to learn how to join the volunteering program.
- McGill Affiliated Hospitals and Clinics: Links to MUHC departments and clinics.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- Montreal inVIVO: Life sciences and health technologies company listings.
- BIOTECanada: Canadian life sciences and biotechnology database.
- CMOCRO: A tool to locate contract resarch or manufacturing organizations.
Alternative CareersLooking for alternative careers? Learn other career options from this website:
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada: What is patent agent, patent agent exam writing guide.
- IP Courses: McGill Continuing Studies offers courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office: How to become a registered property office; past exams.
- Careers in Patent Law (Science Careers)
- Recommended Websites: Job boards and company directories.