As an international student, you know that you have unique needs when it comes to looking for work during and after your studies at McGill. You may have many questions about the Canadian job market or how to navigate through the job search, as well as how to prepare a Canadian CV and cover letter. We, at the McGill Career Planning Service (CaPS), are here to help you find your way.
We recommend that you attend one of the workshops tailored for you depending on your goal of finding a summer/part time job or a permanent post-graduation position. The workshops are entitled:
- International students: Adapting to the Canadian job market
Workshop where you can learn how to make the cultural transition to the Canadian job market
- International Students: Finding a student job
Workshop where you will be exposed with the tools and resources of finding a summer/part time job.
To make an appointment with a career advisor to discuss your career direction/options, call 514-398-3304.
For a quick CV or cover letter review, or if you have a quick career related question, please come in during the drop-in hours.
International Student Work–Immigration Considerations
McGill International Student Services (ISS) provides immigration-related information to international students wanting to work in Canada (on campus, off-campus, in internships or co-op, during the summer, and after graduation). For more information, consult the Work & Work Permits page of the ISS website.
ISS also offers information sessions, guidance, workshops and webinars on topics such as:
- Work and work permits for international students
- Renewing immigration documents
- Permanent Residence Info Sessions (hosted by Immigration Quebec)
- Traveling to the US for work or leisure
- And many others – see Events and Workshops for details
Finally, if your employer has questions about your eligibility to work as an International student, you can direct him/her to our Employer Resource Page.
To find out more information on visas, work and immigration, visit the following governmental sites:
Check out the resources below to finance your studies.
- Government of Canada - International Scholarships
Funding opportunities for students and researchers.
- International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search (IEFA)
Financial aid, scholarship and grant information for US and international students studying abroad.
- CaPS External Scholarships Database
Scholarship and awards from organizations outside McGill.
- Find a Job, Building a Future (PDF)
Information on employment, education and how to manage money.
- Hiring International Students (PDF)
Information on why hiring international students.