Graduate Excellence Fellowship (GEF)
Due to lack of funds, the Department is unable to offer Merit Fellowships for the Fall of 2017. If competitions are held in the future, information will be posted on this site.
Graduate students in the Department of Biochemistry can apply for competitive Graduate Excellence Fellowships for Merit. The number and amount of awards will depend on the amount of funds available.
- new and returning students can apply, and awardees can apply to renew the fellowships
- must be registered full-time for the coming academic year
- students who already receive, or who have accepted to receive, another fellowship worth $12,000 or more in the coming academic year, are not eligible
By the Graduate Advisory Committee (GAC) will use a point system based on:
- research proposal
- previous research experience (M.Sc. students only)
Application: application_gef.docx with instructions
Note: Should the deadline date fall on a weekend or a holiday, the effective deadline date will be the previous working day.
Submit: via email (in a single PDF document) to the undergrad.biochem [at] mcgill.ca
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
Awards will be distributed in September
Biochemistry Graduate Excellence Fellowships (GEF) for Tuition Assistance
Fellowships for Tuition Assistance are awarded in compensation for tuition fees higher than Quebec resident students. The awards are as follows:
M.Sc. 1st Year
M.Sc. 2nd Year
Ph.D. First 3 Years
- students starting their degree program in Fall 2011 onwards are eligible
- international M.Sc. students fast-tracking to the Ph.D. program in Fall 2011 onwards are eligible
- no application is needed
- awards will be distributed in September
- amounts may change from year to year depending on availability of funds
- the awards are in addition to stipends and cannot be part of the minimum contribution required for the merit fellowships
Graduate Research Enhancement and Travel Award (GREAT)
The Department of Biochemistry has been allocated funds for GREAT Awards, which will be divided amongst more than one applicant. The award amount per student will be determined based on the total number of applicants or by lottery if a large number of applications are received. The award is given out in March, for travel within that academic year, to assist graduate students who travel to conferences to give presentations, posters or abstracts. The award amount will be announced after all applications are submitted.
Please fill out the Application and submit the following:
- Proof of Registration
Submit by email to christine.laberge [at] mcgill.ca as a scanned PDF: SUBJECT: lastname_firstname_GREAT
*Seminar attendance will be taken into consideration for the awards. All off-campus seminar attendance forms from September onwards should be submitted to christine.laberge [at] mcgill.ca by the application date.
McKinnell Travel Award
Established in 1993 by the Estate of late Margaret McKinnell - Biochemistry's Unknown Angel to provide support for a Biochemistry graduate student to attend a scholarly meeting or conference relating to their graduate research.
- Student must be first author presenter of poster or talk at a scientific meeting
- Student is only entitled to one MCKinnell award while training towards a Ph.D.
Application: Send an email to Dr Albert Berghuis, Chair, Department of Biochemistry, at albert.berghuis [at] mcgill.ca and copy Marlene Gilhooly at marlene.gilhooly [at] mcgill.ca
Please include a copy of the meeting poster and/or an abstract of your presentation, providing your destination and time of travel.
The Graduate Mobility Award encourages graduate students to study and conduct research abroad as part of their McGill degree program by defraying part of the cost of the international experience.