- Arts Award for Distinction in Research
- Arts Award of Excellence for Administrative and Support Staff
- H. Noel Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching
Arts Award for Distinction in Research
The Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Studies) presents the this award annually to a faculty member who has made outstanding research contributions to their field. The award alternates between "emerging" and "senior" scholars.
In 2017-2018, the award will be given to a senior scholar—a scholar more than 10 years from the completion of the PhD.
Nominations require a cover letter (two pages maximum) identifying the nominee and describing the candidate's research achievements, and a copy of the candidate's curriculum vitae.
Nominations are solicited from Chairs and Directors, but may also be submitted from departments’ awards committees or from other members of the academic staff.
The deadline to submit nominations to the Office of the Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies is Friday, March 9th, 2018.
Please submit nominations electronically to kathleen.holden [at] mcgill.ca (Kathleen Holden).
- Professor Krzysztof Pelc, Political Science, 2016-2017
- Professor Russell Davidson, Economics, 2015-2016
- Professor Ronald Niezen, Anthropology, 2015-2016
- Professor Vincent Pouliot, Political Science, 2014-2015
- Professor Isabelle Daunais, Département de langue et littérature français, 2013-2014
- Professor John A. Hall, Department of Sociology, 2013-2014
- Professor Michael Wagner, Linguistics, 2012-2013
- Professor Elisabeth Gidengil, Political Science, 2011-2012
- Professor Andrew Piper, German Studies, 2010-2011
- Professor Ngo Van Long, Economics, 2009-2010
- Professor Lydia White, Linguistics, 2008-2009
- Professor Michael Cowan,German Studies, 2007-2008
- Professor Robin D. S. Yates, East Asian Studies, 2006-2007
- Professor T. V. Paul. Political Science, 2004-2005
- Professor Yvan Lamonde, Département de langue et littérature françaises, 2003-2004
- Professor Bruce Trigger, Anthropology, 2002-2003
- Professor Michael Bristol, English, 2001-2002
- Professor Michael Brecher, Political Science, 2000-2001
- Professor Jesus Pérez-Magallon, Hispanic Studies, 2000-2001
Arts Award of Excellence for Administrative and Support Staff
This award is conferred every year, however, alternating between ranks (one year to management staff and one year to clerical/technical staff).
Early in March a memo from the Dean is sent to all staff requesting nominations for the Arts Award of Excellence to acknowledge outstanding performance and achievement by members of the Administrative and Support Staff.
The deadline for 2017 will be posted shortly.
Nominations require a detailed letter of support, signed by a minimum of five individuals of which one may be a student. All members of the Faculty of Arts may support a nomination, that is, academic, clerical, managerial and technical staff, as well as students registered in a Faculty of Arts department. The letter of support should profile the nominee's contributions to the Department, the Faculty and the University.
For further information, please call 514-398-4216.
- Ms. Connie DiGiuseppe, ASCII, 2015-2016
- Mr. Keith Roche, English, 2014-2015
- Ms. Franca Ciani, Sociology, 2013-2014
- Ms. Diane Mann, Anthropology, 2012-2013
- Mrs. Brigitte Weiss-Dittmann, Languages, Literatures, and Cultures, 2011-2012
- Ms. Sima Dantzigian, English, 2010-2011
- Ms. Elaine Garnham, Economics, 2010-2011
- Ms. Connie DiGiuseppe, Linguistics, 2009-2010
- Ms. Meena Mohan, Dean's Secretariat, 2008-2009
- Ms. Maria Gabriel, Art History & Communication Studies, 2007-2008
- Ms. Dorothy Alleyne, English, 2005-2006
- Ms. Linda-Renée Montreuil, Economics, 2004-2005
- Ms. Georgii Mikula, History, 2003-2004
- Ms. Valentina Matsangos, English, 2001-2002
- Ms. Sharon Bezeau, Student Affairs Office, 1999-2000
- Ms. Sharon Barqueiro, Sociology, 1997-1998
- Ms. Helen Wilicka, Political Science, 1995-1996
- Ms. Lois Manton, Dean's Secretariat, 1993-1994
- Ms. Carol LeDain, Dean's Secretariat, 1991-1992
H. Noel Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching
The H. Noel Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching is designed to recognize outstanding teaching in the Faculty of Arts, and is awarded each June at Convocation. All full-time academic staff in the Faculty of Arts are eligible for this award. Any student, alumnus, or member of the academic staff may submit a nomination.
The Arts Prizes and Awards Committee requires for each nominee a completed nomination form, at least one nominating letter from a current or former undergraduate or graduate student, and at least one nominating letter from a fellow faculty member.
Letters should specify what, in the nominator's opinion, constitutes distinguished teaching. Please include supporting evidence drawn from the nominee’s teaching. When referencing specific courses please include the course number and the year.
Please submit nominations by email to kathleen.holden [at] mcgill.ca (Kathleen Holden). Should you have any questions, please contact Kathleen Holden at 514-398-4400, ext. 094751 or by email.
DEADLINE: Friday, March 9th, 2018
Professor Heather MacIntosh, School of Social Work, 2016-2017
Professor Daniel Heller, Jewish Studies, 2015-2016
Professor Dirk Schlimm, Philosophy, 2014-2015
Professor Laila Parsons, History and Classical Studies/Insitute of Islamic Studies, 2013-2014
Professor Miranda Hickman, English, 2012-2013
Professor Kenneth MacKenzie, Economics, 2011-2012
Professor Tamara Sussman, Social Work, 2010-2011
Professor Myrna Wyatt Selkirk, English, 2009-2010
Professor Kathleen Fallon, Sociology, 2008-2009
Professor Lisa deMena Travis, Linguistics, 2007-2008
Professor Juliet Johnson, Political Science, 2006-2007
Professor Christopher Ragan, Economics, 2006-2007
Professor Andre Costopoulos, Anthropology, 2005-2006
Professor Brian Lewis, History, 2004-2005
Professor Michael Bristol, English, 2003-2004
Professor Peter Gibian, English, 2002-2003
Professor Heather Goad, Linguistics, 2001-2002
Professor Rex Brynen, Political Science, 2000-2001