Sima Dantzigian (FST) email
Sam Higgs (AUS) finance [dot] aus [at] mail [dot] mcgill [dot] ca (email)
Lucie Marion (DLLF) email
Livia Nardini (East Asian) email
Gracy Pardillo (Financial Services) email
Sherryl Ramsahai (ISID) email
Emilia Scognamiglio (FST) email
Linda Tom (FST) email
We can take an inventory of what everyone is doing re: finance and budget tasks.
Example of POPS payments involve HR , FIN and ADMIN; owner for POPS is HR.
Discussion on replacement/back ups for units.
Suggestions to get started:
1. Process Mapping information from Anna/Brigitte
2. Faculty – who are the people doing Finance Tasks?
3. We have to determine the “in-between” processes
4. Take a look at the problems and attack the bigger problems i.e. % of time spent on POPS
5. Collect information and pool together resources i.e. departments together?
6. Determine daily, weekly, yearly tasks – would require a list from everyone
Impacts on Student Affairs, Finance, HR?
With the current process, where are the bottlenecks, duplication of work, lack of communication, gaps we would like streamlined, etc. e.g., honoraria – the requests from Payroll.
Designing new processes – once designed suggestion to validate by HR or Financial Services i.e., by the unit involved.
What are the needs of the unit? Back up.
Volunteers from different areas to attend as needed:
Contact someone from Academic Personnel; Payroll; BSAC (stipends, student awards);Student Aid; Payroll (re: student payments e.g., Research Asst.); Recruitment process – HR; DAR.
For the next meeting:
We should all prepare a list of what is NOT working – each member to present by the document used (5 minutes) and then we will sort them by theme. Members will vote by worst process (make a template?).
Academic appointments: The budget office, as well, as units receive the letter many times through email. Contact with the HR – Academic and IT sub-groups to discuss this further.
Academic Approvals: The back and forth on certain criteria for Research Assistant and Research Associate. A lot of time is wasted with returned Minerva appointment forms and emails.
Honoraria: If done once in a while, it is often difficult and time consuming. Consult with Events sub-group.
Payment requests: Should be made on-line.
The focus today was on events/conferences/visiting speakers i.e., expense reports and honoraria. We see this as being integrated into the Events team, as a service to the rest of the units (excluding the Institutes for the time-being). This would involve the completion of expense reports and the processing of all forms for honoraria. Nancy will consult with the Special events sub-group (Johanne Bilodeau).
Expense Report Viewing Access: Staff in units can now only see reports they initiated, not all reports. This has caused some concern. Access was revoked due to the hire of FST support staff. The rationale was that the new hire would be able to answer any questions that might arise. This, however, might well reduce efficiency as it would introduce a delay. Gracy will look into this to see if members of units who previously had access could again be given viewing rights to expense reports related to their unit’s foapals.
Brainstorming: Perhaps there should be a small team dedicated to working solely on Endowment funding since it is often overlooked. Year to year there are available balances.
- We completed a S.W.O.T. aAnalysis for the Finance group.
- We identified our stakeholders.
- We had a Brainstorming session on the question: “What can we do as a team to foster openness to change for Arts project in the finance area?”
- We will meet with Anna and Ernie (Process Mapping) to choose top three financial processes for the first round of mapping.
- While we wait for the results, we will set up the following grid:
- List of departments and the finance people in them with an indicationn the % of time spent on finance tasks
- List of departments with documents used
Ideas: Shadowing to learn some tips/tricks
Authorization forms: Consolidate FIS forms (there are a few), although we probably will not be permitted to incorporate HR. In the alternative, develop a link to access all the pertinent authorization materials for FIS positions.
Review of the latest correspondence from the project team – feedback from Town Hall March 18
Some examples of time consuming tasks:
- Acquiring original signatures from fund financial managers and department chairs for expense reports
- Photocopying receipts for expense reports- is it necessary?
- Payment requests
The top three processes were chosen at the meeting with Anna and Ernie on April 2nd, 2013
- Expense Reports which they are currently mapping