Quick Links

Travel Guidelines

Students participating in any University-related travel activity (i.e., course work, internships, exchange programs, field work or research, for credit or not) should understand the requirements outlined in the McGill International Mobility Guidelines, which can be found here [.pdf].

  1. McGill Travel Registry on Minerva
  2. Travel Bans and Traveller Registration
  3. University-Wide Departure Orientation
  4. Faculty of Arts Cross Cultural Workshop
  5. Post-Internship De-briefing
  6. Insurance
  7. Visas and Work Permits
  8. Student Acceptance Form Acknowledgement and Consent
  9. Confidentiality

Travel Registry on Minerva

Students participating in a University-related travel activity (i.e., course work, internships, exchange programs, field work or research, for credit or not) are required to register their travel (in Canada or outside Canada) on Minerva. To learn more about the International Travel Registry click here.

Travel Bans and Traveller Registration

McGill encourages students to include an international educational experience as part of their studies. However, the University will not approve student travel to all countries or regions of countries, as the safety of students is of primary importance.

In planning a University-related international travel activity, staff members and students are to consider the nature of the activity, the associated risks and the location, specifically consulting travel warnings and reports issued by the Government of Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFATD). A travel warning is official advice concerning travel to a country or specific regions of a country, based on an overall assessment of the security risk and expressed in terms of the following four levels:

  1. Exercise normal security precautions
  2. Exercise high degree of caution
  3. Avoid non-essential travel
  4. Avoid all travel

University-related activity will not be approved in locations for which DFATD has issued an "avoid non-essential travel" or "avoid all travel" advisory. University-related courses, conferences and other activities undertaken in these locations will not receive McGill credit or recognition.

Please note:

  • If a Travel Advisory is in place recommending to avoid all travel OR avoid non-essential travel at the time of application the internships in that country will be rejected;
  • If a Travel Advisory is in place restricting travel at the time of deployment, internships in that country will be cancelled.

All interns are required to register with the foreign office of their country of citizenship before leaving Canada. Canadian students can register online here.

University-Wide Predeparture Orientation

All students interning outside of Canada are required to participate in a pre-departure orientation. Students are required to attend the University-wide session being hosted by the Office of International Education. This session will be offered twice a year.

Topics covered include:

  • Canadian Consular Services (Consular Services and Travel Reports from the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development)
  • Personal health abroad, including healthy travel tips;
  • McGill University-Related Travel Guidelines;
  • Managing your success abroad; and
  • Travel Registry- all students participating in a University-related international activity (i.e., bilateral exchange, internship, independent study-away, graduate work or other activity) are required to register their travel on Minerva.
  • A regional breakout session with experts from the region to which you are travelling.

For more information and to register, visit the international education page here

McGill Abroad App

McGill now offers a McGill Abroad App

Compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch and Android

Get it at: iTunes Store or Google Play Store

No smart phone? No problem.

Get the info here.

Cross-Cultural Workshop

Please note attendance is mandatory for Arts interns, award recipients, and interns receiving academic credit who are interning outside of Canada, Western Europe and the US.

The workshop will cover themes such as: strategies to improve cross-cultural communication; professional and social behavior; country context and its impact on professional and personal objectives; stages of adaptation and for managing the stress of culture shock; and health and safety.

This workshop is offered free-of-charge to Faculty of Arts students. 

This sessions is nornally held on a weekday evening in early April.  Food will be provided. 

Post-Internship Debriefing

All interns (outside of Canada, the US and Europe) are required to participate in a debriefing session hosted by the Faculty of Arts Internship Office following the completion of their internship.

This session is a follow-up to the Cross Cultural Workshop. The evening session will focus on the return to McGill after an international experience. Topics covered will include reverse culture shock, challenges of retintegration, and ways of taking account of your experience by discussing what skills you may have gained, and how your perspectives may have changed.  This is also an excellent opportunity to share experiences with fellow interns. 

This session normally takes place in the first two weeks of September.  


All interns are required to obtain their own health and travel insurance including proof of supplemental health insurance, emergency medical expense coverage and emergency evacuation insurance.

For more information, please consult the section about travel insurance, on the international education's FAQs page here

Visas and Work Permits

All students: Interns are responsible for informing themselves about appropriate entry and work requirements for their host country. Students must acquire proper travel visas and work permits where applicable. Country-specific requirements can be found here.

It is important that students begin this process early, as for many countries, it can take some time. 

Non US-Citizens interning in the US: Non US-Citizens completing any internship (paid or unpaid) in the US require a special visa. If the host organization is unable to sponsor a visa, students should consider applying for a SWAP Working Holiday Visa. For more information, click here.

International students with internships in Canada: international students require a Co-op/internship work permit if they are completing a mandatory internship (paid or unpaid) in Canada. For more information or non-mandatory internships, students should see McGill’s International Student Office, click here.

Student Acceptance form acknowledgement and consent

Student should carefully read through the Student Acceptance Form Acknowledgement and Consent [.doc] and submit the signed document to the Arts Internship Office.


In accordance with Quebec legislation, all information regarding an intern's travel plans and financial arrangements is confidential and can not be disclosed to third parties without the permission of the intern.