Welcome to the Classifications Guide
This portal provides access to pages on our site pertaining to academic staff classifications at McGill University.
Should you have any questions, please academic [dot] personnel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (contact us).
• Clinical Tenure-Stream (GFT-U) and Clinical CAS (GFT-H),
• Contract Academic Staff (CAS),
• Cross Appointment,
• Indefinite Term Appointment,
• Joint Appointment,
• Reduced Load,
• Tenure Stream,
• Usage of Acting vs Interim,
• Processing CAS Indefinite Term Appointments in Minerva where Soft-Funding or Grants pay or contribute to the Salary
Primary-Secondary Positions Grid
Academic Staff may hold only one primary academic appointment at the University.
The primary academic appointment must be to one of the academic classifications officially designated by the University. No staff member shall hold an academic administrative or stipend position exclusive of a primary academic appointment.
Please consult the Primary-and-Secondary-Positions-Grid for guidance.
An academic staff member appointed to a pre-tenure-track position for a non-renewable definite term of one year.
Includes those who are appointed at the University as temporary replacements for staff members on leave.
SECONDARY & ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS
Academic staff member must hold a valid primary academic position (see above) before any of these positions can be used:
• Associate Deans, Assistant Deans,
• Chairs, Associate Chairs,
• Directors (Chair-equivalent), Associate Directors,
• Directors (Other),
• Curators, Associate Curators,
• Branch Heads, Team Coordinators,
• Program Directors
• Medical Directors
Information concerning the appointing and reappointing of the academic staff to Academic Administrative positions.
Academic staff member must hold a valid primary academic position (see above) before any of these can be used:
• Named/Endowed Positions
• Stipend Codes
• Payment Codes